Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing of hardware let alone adding hard drives, so maybe some of you guys could help me. I did a quick search, but I found nothing.

I want to add in a new hard drive for my computer. An internal drive which would be easy to set up. I want something that would be fit for gaming. Right now my 80 GB hard drive is filled almost to the max. I think I would like something considerably larger (>150 GB, I think). I use a lot of mods on my games which take up anywhere from 1 to 5 GB of space per game (data files, textures, and music among some of the things these mods contain).

Now, onto the main questions:

-What hard drive should I get? About what size? Brand?
-How exactly would I go about installing it?
-Anything else?

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
dont know what kinda HD u should get, but i could tell you how 2 go bout installin it...

open ur case, find the HD thats in it now, there should be another spot 2 add an additional HD, put the drive in the space, there will be extra IDE cords (flat, big, gray cord), plug the IDE cord into the back of the new HD (if you look on the back of ur original HD, u can see how the cord goes in), only goes in 1 way, and only 1 spot, the plug the power cord in the HD, only 1 way and 1 spot also...

turn the PC on, should find the HD, then ur all set :wink:....

also, make sure ur PC is all shutdown...2 be safe, unplug the power cord from the back of the computer...

and 1 more thing, when u save stuff, like ur mods, and u want the stuff saved 2 ur new HD, during the setup process of the stuff u wanna install, it'll ask if where u wanna save the stuff 2, instead of C: (thats ur 1st HD), save it 2 like G: or w.e ur 2nd HD might be...

·
TSF Regular
701 Posts
also, how much do u wanna spend on a HD?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Also another important question is Sata or ide ?
I would also suggest going with 16mb cache if you can afford it, should see the difference IMHO, as to size given the price of todays drives go as big as you can afford.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
If you're going to add a drive bigger than 137GB make sure that your OS supports it if you add it direct to your motherboard as opposed to an external enclosure. Since the drive will probably also be faster than your existing 80GB drive you might want to "clone" your old drive to your new one and boot from it. I've heard that you gamers try to get the last bit of speed out of your systems :grin:
The old drive you might want to keep on one side until that you see everything is working and that no "personal" files are missing from the new setup then, after you are convinced all is well, you could add it to your system as a slave drive. Alternatively keep it "to hand" in case anything should ever go wrong with the new drive ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Take a look at this deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144309

This is a nice drive, reasonably priced, and good quality. Worth looking at anyhow.
Thanks. I'll look into it.

also, how much do u wanna spend on a HD?
Less than $100, but $150 is probably the max.

Also another important question is Sata or ide ?
I would also suggest going with 16mb cache if you can afford it, should see the difference IMHO, as to size given the price of todays drives go as big as you can afford.
I need an IDE. I don't believe my machine is compatible with a SATA.

If you're going to add a drive bigger than 137GB make sure that your OS supports it if you add it direct to your motherboard as opposed to an external enclosure. Since the drive will probably also be faster than your existing 80GB drive you might want to "clone" your old drive to your new one and boot from it. I've heard that you gamers try to get the last bit of speed out of your systems :grin:
The old drive you might want to keep on one side until that you see everything is working and that no "personal" files are missing from the new setup then, after you are convinced all is well, you could add it to your system as a slave drive. Alternatively keep it "to hand" in case anything should ever go wrong with the new drive ...
I wouldn't know much about compatibility. Right now I have an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz. I guess that would be the model. I wouldn't know where else to find models from the Device Manager.

I could probably do that. Would there be any worth from adding it just a slave drive? Exactly how much speed boost could I get from a good hard drive itself? Also, how could I install it? Install it as a slave, copy all of the files, then switch the master and slave and boot from it? (It probably isn't that simple) I also want do something else, though, if I can use both hard drives, but it's more for the OS Support (Right now I am on XP Home, but I want to add dual boot with Linux).

I think I have a temporary hard drive lined up. It is an external USB. Would I be able to load up games from one? I heard they were kind of... Slow. But, I am also cautious about it's falling to the ground and getting it's data damaged.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
external hard drives are slower and less dependable than running an internal.

if you want the optimum speed for a resaonable investment (under $85.00) then get a drive larger than 150 gig or so IDE drive with a 16mb cache

I personally would opt for a clean install of the windows system, if you have been running on the same windows install for more than 2 years you would see a very noticible improvement from a clean install,
I would rate the benefits of a clean OS install on a three year old windows registry to be better than the installation of a sata drive or adding 512mb ram IMHO.

enjoy your quest, dont stop asking questions until you are sure you have picked a "path" from which to proceed.

BTW: cloning will copy your existing boot drive contents over to the new drive which can at that time be either a master boot drive or a slave

if you prefer to clone instead of the time required to clean install we can point you in that direction too :wink:

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Very Good advice there By Joe, but again, if my understanding is right, a clean Install with an SP1/SP2 CD would ensure that your >137GB Drive would be less likely to show you ongoing recognition problems.
Please put me right Joe (You are far wiser than me about these things) if I'm talking "hogwash" :grin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, my temporary external drive has just been installed, and it is working great so far. I do hope to get a big internal one. My external is a 190 GB Maxtor and it is pretty fast. I have no new noticable lag in my games. But how are externals less dependable?

I will do a clean OS install after I get another internal, though. The only thing I hate about that is I have to make the settings back up to my wants, needs, and whatnot. Since I'd be planning to install the OS on the newer internal, I am able to delete the windows install on the old one without anything else getting deleted, correct (off topic, I know).

EDIT:

Erm... I don't think I have an install CD for Windows. It was preloaded onto the PC (but, I wouldn't know about the CD entirely. I didn't buy the PC).

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
the above post by my collegue is 100% correct! when the time comes you will want to slipstream your install disk to be sure the win xp cd has Service pack 2 intergrated into it.

However if you dont have an install disk, you can borrow one from a buddy as long as the versions match xp home in your machine now means you need to borrow an XP home cd to install with. After the install is complete you would use your 25 character install code, it should be on a sticker on the side of the machine, if you dont see it, there is always the jellybean key finder ????? (see tips & tricks section for finding your win xp key)

anyway, external drives are less dependable because external drives uses multi layered controllers, you have an IDE controller getting data from the USB controller, its like anything else in life, the more you complicate the task, the more it goes wrong.

dont hesitate to ask more questions

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
XP does have a method of helping with the files and transfer wizard which you would use before you make the claen install to the new drive. If you aren't comfortable with this though you might want to think about cloning your old disk as I mentioned before. But which ever way you go there are things that nedd to be done in order to ensure that you only take the data required and not all the rubbish too! The rubbish is found in the recycle bin, temp internet files folder , temp folder, registries etc that could do with a good clean out with appropriate software before making an image or backup. These are time consuming chores that "need to be done" .. whichever way you intend to go will require a commital to spend time preparing and installing so there's not a lot of choice. I always look at it as an educational period.

My own experience of external drives is that the power supplies tend to be "marginal" for the job. I have had supplies that only worked for a few weeks before refusing to allow the disk to work properly. That may be a rare thing but it's less likely to happen if you have a PC with a Quality Power supply and and internal drive.

The advantage of doing a clean install is that you can also keep your old drive handy until you are sure that you have all the info from it that you wanted. If you need you can also have a second boot install to the new disk, which means that you have a choice of booting to the new or old installation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.

About XP:

If I installed SP2 because it was the only thing available on said CD, would I be able to roll back to SP1 since it is more dependable on games?

If I also did a clean install, would there be any way to save some preferences and set them aside and then afterwards restoring those preferences? I don't want to go through the trouble of setting up which services to shut down again. That was trouble enough.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
As far as I know , there was an option to roll back when installing (updating) SP1, but I haven't seen that option as available on SP2.
If you slipstream SP2 into your install CD there is no way to go back without a clean install using the original disk or SP1 disk.

To save your current settings so that you can recover them, I would use the File & transfer wizard from XP, it's a pain to find though, tried to find it again now but couldn't

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.