Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a 1.33 AthlonXP processor, Abit KG7 Socket A mobo and I was running (2)128Meg strips of Crucial DDR Ram. Two days ago I added in (1) 256Meg strip more of DDR ram (Kingston) for a total now of 512meg. All 512meg of RAM is shown as being recognized in Windows XP. Since adding additional RAM it seems that my computer will now be running fine then all of a sudden it's like someone hits the reset button...the darn thing restarts by itself. Tried putting a different Hard Drive in the machine and the same happens. Would anyone know what's is going on...didn't think adding RAM would cause such a problem...Thanks for any help.

:confused:

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
You may wanna check to see if the ram is compatible with amd chip set also you should be showing 1024 mb ram if you have ddr 512 (ddr = double denisty ram) So there may be your problem your system may not be compatable with that type of ram.

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
thats probably what it is, ram compatablity.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I've had a similar prob. when I add memory in on my board..sticks were not the same size...I swapped the sticks and it worked...(i put 256meg stick where 128 was...) dunno why or how but it worked...

·
Registered
15 Posts
®£Ðߣ@®Ð said:
You may wanna check to see if the ram is compatible with amd chip set also you should be showing 1024 mb ram if you have ddr 512 (ddr = double denisty ram) So there may be your problem your system may not be compatable with that type of ram.
Double Density Ram??? Ummm, No, it stands for Double Data Rate, because it sends and recieves information on the up and down of every clock cycle. It is twice as fast as SDRAM not twice as large. 512 is still 512mb.

·
Citizen of the world
51,053 Posts
The original problem sounds like marginal RAM, one bit changes and bad things can happen! This is the primary reason that all the systems I build have ECC memory. Life is too short to worry about problems like this, I want to know if I'm having a RAM problem! :rolleyes:

I'd start by removing the new RAM and see if that solves the problem. You could also leave only the new RAM and remove the other two sticks and see if the problem remains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.