Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just added a new 20gb hard drive to my system and am not sure if it is being recognized or not. Is there any way to be sure that it was installed properly. The first time I installed it I forgot to set the slave jumper and had all kinds of problems. Never would completely reboot. Lost some programs including my MSN access but it did clear up some problems that I was having before. This time I set the jumper and rebooted fine, no problems. I just need to know if there is something else I need to do to make it work. PLEASE HELP.

G

·
Hello and welcome mbonner

first where is this drive in relation to whatever other drives you have in there? Please list.

Does the bios recognize it as being there?

Is it brand new or does it have something on it?

Lets start with this...:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
added new hard drive

Hey Speedo.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by where its located. How can I check the bios to see if its there or not? And its a brand new hard drive. Right out of the package.

Mike

G

·
I'm not quite sure what you mean by where its located.
By where it is located is.

Primary Master is your boot drive. It could be Marked IDE0 or IDE1
Primary Slave would be the next drive on that cable.

Secondary Master is the other IDE port. It could be marked IDE1 or IDE2.
And Secondary Slave. would be the second device on that cable.

The bios!

Well when you first start the machine you will see Hit Delete to enter setup!

The first page usually has the hard drive auto detect options on it.

Do you know what brand of motherboard you have...:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its on the same cable as the Primary Master so it would be the Primary Slave.

I have never noticed hit delete to enter setup when I start up Windows 98. The first screen has ACER on it since this is an old ACER Aspire system and then a black screen with just a prompt then a screen that flashes real quick that has all the information about the hard drives and so forth and then the Windows 98 startup screen. Am I supposed to click delete when it gets to that third screen with all the information to enter setup? Sorry for sounding like a complete idiot.

I dont have any idea what brand the Motherboard is without taking off the cover and looking. This is an old ACER Aspire system, about 6 years old. Whatever they were using then.

G

·
If you hit the pause key when it hits the window with the hard drives on it see if your new hard drive is on there...;)

As I am not familiar with this system I will have to see if I can find some info on it...:(

Maybe some else here can tell you how to get into the bios.

Unless it detected it already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Speedo.

I found out last night from someone how to get into the bios. It is showing it but only as an 8gb drive. Apparently my motherboard doesnt support it. What I'm going to do is remove both drives and install the new one as the master. I'll spend most of the day downloading everything on my system to floppys and transferring it all to the new drive.

Maxtor has a bootable program at their website to configure it for me. Hopefully I'll be able to make it work.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.