Tech Support banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a Dell Inspiron running W10 (Lat.Addition). I have a HDD in the CPU and am thing of adding it to or replacing my HDD completely.

If replacing the HDD with an SSD, What about Windows on the SSD and the files on my HDD?

If Adding it as a 2nd drive, Is there a thread here that explains how to do it?

And last, a low cost (not "cheap) SDD to go with?

Always thankful to you guys...
~Tim~

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
332 Posts
Ok, I have a Dell Inspiron running W10 (Lat.Addition). I have a HDD in the CPU and am thing of adding it to or replacing my HDD completely.

If replacing the HDD with an SSD, What about Windows on the SSD and the files on my HDD? This is the preferred solution

If Adding it as a 2nd drive, Is there a thread here that explains how to do it? How to Migrate to a Solid-State Drive Without Reinstalling Windows

And last, a low cost (not "cheap) SDD to go with? Here ya go!

~Tim~

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked using the link to Amazon to see if the SSD was compatible with my Dell Inspiron 3847 but "It's Not Sure" lol!!

·
Registered
40,982 Posts
All 2.5" SSD's, like the Crucial one linked in post # 2 are compatible your Dell Inspiron and just about any other laptop with a SATA controller.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Spunk. I know there was a link to a video above on how to replace it but the question still stands about Windows OS and the files I currently have on my HDD now. Any insight on that?

·
Registered
137 Posts

If replacing the HDD with an SSD, What about Windows on the SSD and the files on my HDD?

~Tim~
Which "Inspiron" do you have? You don't say if it's a desktop, or a laptop. Any answer would need to consider that.

·
Registered
14 Posts

~Tim~
Tim: Dell tells me your desktop has SATA connections. My build has SATA and I have two SSD internal drives (Samsungs: 120Gb & 250Gb.....I use external WD 1Tb for storage, so SSD don't have to be big!)....I use Macrium Reflect to clone one SSD to the other......you can clone your old HDD to the SSD, and keep the old HDD to use for storage only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts