·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current setup:

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
2 - 36GB WD Raptor drives - RAID 0
Win XP Pro

I want to add a Seagate Barracuda 120GB so that I can move my old files.

Drive is powering up and Windows is recognizing a new Raid Controller. Disk Management doesn't detect the new drive. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance...

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe; 2 - 36GB WD Raptor drives - RAID 0; Win XP Pro. I want to add a Seagate Barracuda 120GB so that I can move my old files. Drive is powering up and Windows is recognizing a new Raid Controller. Disk Management doesn't detect the new drive.
??Where are your existing RAID0 disks attached?
I'll assume you attached them to the Southbridge.

??What type of Barracuda HDD is this... SATA or ATA? (they have both types in the product family).

??To what port have you attached it?
From "new Raid Controller" I figure you attached it to the Promise, causing Promise BIOS to load, thus causing Windows to see the new device. I reckon your Promise must already be enabled in BIOS, or Windows wouldn't have noticed it.

But the part about "new Raid Controller" bothers me. You've added only one new HDD, so you can't be trying to bring up a second RAID set. In the BIOS, Advanced screen, Onboard Device Configuration screen, for the Onboard Promise Controller have you set the Operating Mode to IDE? It sounds like it's set to RAID. Or maybe XP is just using a generic term here.

Furthemore, when Windows recognizes the controller, it might try to automatically install a RAID driver, if it thinks RAID is the Operating Mode. For a single drive you don't want that, instead you want the Promise FastTrak 378 ATA Driver. So I'm saying you might need to re-update the driver for your Promise controller, in Control Panel- System- Device Manager.

Beyond that, I must have done some sort of formatting of all my extra drives, probably using PartitionMagic. But I should think they would already have had to appear as lettered drives in order to do that operation. I can't remember. But formatting will be needed too. Sounds like you've not gotten that far yet.

Hope this helps, let me know answers to the questions above, and how it goes...

-clintfan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.