Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new computer, about time! (3 Ghz Windows Xp 80G SATA HD) my old computer was a 366 Mhz 4G IDE HD w/Windows 98. I would like to add this hd drive so i can copy some programs and files to my new computer. Problem (as I see it), I don't have an extra IDE connector. There is only one, and it's being used by my CD/DVD drive. Can I disconnect my CD and connect the old HD and then just turn on my computer and copy from old to knew or isn it more complex than that? Should I buy a IDE to USB2 cable and connect the drive this way? I could also buy a IDE to SATA cable but would also need an powercord ext. so this would become not very cost wise. Someone told me that some 98 files wouldn't work on XP so that this may be a waste of time and $$$ .Any idea would be of great help, and easy and cheap are most important. I have more time than $$$.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. After I copy what i need to my new HD I plan on putting old HD back into old computer and giving it to a company in town that gives computers to those who can't afford them.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi

Yes you can disconnect the IDE cable from the CD-drive (when the computer is off) and add the 4GB HDD to it, set it to Slave on the jumpers or Cable Select position and bootup. The drive will be picked up by Windows and you shall be able to copy anything over you wish :smile:

There's no need to go pocket digging here.

PS: Bear in mind "most" programs won't work if copied over from another HDD, unless they be in ZIP format you copy over or they are not dependent on registry hives on your old HDD. Files/folders will be though.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Exactly what Kalim said, however, because you have only one ide connector on the ide data cable, it's likely you will have to set the jumpers on the drive to master instead of slave

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
disconenct the cd-rom drive as suggested

add the old drive on that cable

you mayyyyyyy end up with the bios changing the boot order when it detects the IDE drive; computers bios love IDE >>>>> its momma

you mayyyyy have to reset the boot order so the machine doesnt try to boot from it ??????

give it a whirl

if you want easier and more fool proof then use a USB external enclosure for hard drives if you are fearful of waltzing with the bios; we dont know your balking point, I personally would try the drive on the cd-rom port as suggested by my collegues and because I hate spending when not required! and be prepared to do alittle sword fighting with the bios boot order>>>> but thats easy too

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all!! I will give it a try. A few more ??? 1st! IF it does try to boot up in the old drive(win98) then what? If I do have to have to sword fight with the Bios....( kinda scared here, I once cut myself buttering toast) how would I go about it. Or am I just being a BIG WUSS and just try it and the worse that can happen is it won't work??????? and then just take it out and put ecerything back as b4(with it off of course).

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
if it boots to the win98 disk, enter cmos setup (tap F2 when you turn it on) and change the boot order or priority of the drives. once you get into setup, you should be able to see what you need to do to make the change (don't be a wuss, it's not difficult) :wink:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
columbus did it! now its your turn! :laugh:

what you can do = cheater (remove all adventure)

you can enter the bios before touching anything then go into the boot order

write down on paper all the info in that screen

then shut down the computer change the cable to your old drive
then reboot if it wants to bleat bleat bleat and tries to boot into the win 98 drive simply shut down and re-enter the bios boot order just like you wrote it down ........ when you exit the bios you must hit the "save changes [/B"]& exit"

all will be cool practice entering and existing the bios first

then play with the drive after you have test drove it >>>>>> just think what would have been if ole columbus could have "test" drove his voyage :laugh:

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi

I guess I'm split pulling the cords here... :laugh:

Well a one-off bootup off a specific drive is like hitting a key (like F8 in my case) to enter the bootup menu, where you choose which HDD to boot from, once its connected up. (as hwm54112 stated)

For a permanent switch over for while, to boot off the the 4GB drive you'll have to set the BIOS (press Del or sometimes F2 or even F4 at start usually to enter BIOS) and set the HDD config to boot off the IDE HDD as linderman stated. Usually hitting enter will change the option or give you s scrollable menu.

Whichever you choose Columbus will sail home .. hopefully :grin:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Kalim= "Columbus will get home hopefully" :grin: :wave:

by the way just to clarify (do we have ya lost yet????) you DONT want the machine to boot into Win 98 that will just make more hurdles

you should have no problems getting into your old drive as a slave and copying your data

win xp can read any file from win 98 but not so for the "other" way around

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.