Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm new here and have very little experience with the inner workings of a computer. Please be patient and please try to answer in terms that a computer idiot such as myself can understand! lol!
Here's my question: I recently downloaded Windows8 and I began getting an error message that said that my activeX controls were "damaged". I was told to delete the activeX so I did. Did I do right? Do I NEED activeX? In case you need it, the error code (?) is as follows:E2883E8F-472F-4FBO-9522-AC9BF37916A7.
:4-dontkno

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
Apparently that is a 'residue file' from some Adobe (?) software having used their download manager.

Normally it gets erased, but sometimes sticks around.

Deletion should pose no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently that is a 'residue file' from some Adobe (?) software having used their download manager.

Normally it gets erased, but sometimes sticks around.

Deletion should pose no problems.
Ok, I assume then that it's not something that I NEED for my computer to run right!
Thank you! :smile:

·
Enthusiast
4,527 Posts
Do you mean you downloaded & installed "Windows Internet Explorer 8" (not Windows 8)?
If yes, then you've done it right. Deleting damaged ActiveX controls when asked to do so is correct.

ActiveX is a Microsoft technology used only in Internet Explorer. It isn't used in competing web-browsers like Firefox etc., so those browsers don't use ActiveX controls anyway (which is one reason why such browsers are considered to be safer).

You don't need any ActiveX controls for Windows or Internet Explorer to function, but some websites and web-related functions won't work properly in Internet Explorer until you download the specific ActiveX control it needs. You'll be prompted to install this as & when required.

Some ActiveX controls get installed when you install the related software - for example, Java from Sun Microsystems installs a Java ActiveX control into Internet Explorer so that when you visit a website that uses Java (eg some online games) you'll be able to play the games inside Internet Explorer.

If, however, you switched to using Firefox full-time, you wouldn't need to worry about ActiveX at all. Firefox uses "plugin" versions of any add-ons it needs (including Java).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I downloaded IE8 because my updates told me to. I thought it was something I HAD to do. I feel better knowing that I didn't screw anything up by deleting it! Thank you so much guys for your help and patience!! I'll probably be back again at some point! LOL! Until then, take care! :pray:

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
IE8 IS more secure and stable than IE7 - despite the fact that MS cannot leave anything alone as far as interface goes (supposedly people WANT these annoying changes - LoL).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.