Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to run MSI Live Update 3, which checks the web for various BIOS and driver updates. For whatever reason IE tells me that it blocked scripts or ActiveX controls, and when I attempt to enable them it tells me my security settings are too high- regardless of what I do under security options for IE.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Hi have you tried turning all protection off, windows firewall and anti virus programmes ?
Leaves you a little unprotected, but should be ok for a short while.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, just to be on the safe side I tried again- no dice. I have Ewido, counterspy, and Spybot running in the background and turning all of them off (as well as windows firewall) has no effect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's a pretty good tutorial . . .

at spywarewarrior.com that explains in detail how to set-up your IE security zones. I suggest: stop what you are trying to do (if you have about 1 hour to spare), go the their website,

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/btw/ie/ie-opts.htm

start at the top of this page and work your way through to (and including) setting up your trusted zone/adding websites to your trusted zone. Also follow their recommendations for handling cookies w/ advanced.

By the time you are done you should have near complete confidence in handling your browsers security settings and those pesky popup warnings. You may also have some additional security software running that is protecting you (like the other person mentioned). I went through that websites recommendations and now feel in control of whats going on. I've been using this stupid browser for years without really knowing how to setup the security or why I was having the same problems you are.

In the text, he has hyperlinks that will take you to more detailed explanations on some of the subjects. Follow them and study everything until you have it down. Most of the problems I encounter have to do with the way i've configured something, due to ignorance or carelessness.

When you're done, if nothing else, you'll have a really good idea of where your problem MUST lie, if only by elimination.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.