Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-hey guys i have a simple question here. where can i go in XP and Win03 so that i can search the Active Directory.
-and what is the benefit of placing the shares in the Active Directory.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
- well we have some shared folders in our server that contain files for employees and i want to know what is the benefit of pulishing these shared folders in the AD. and how do i search the active directory?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I not to sure on this because we do not implement it. We basically have a script that runs when a user logs in and it maps all of their drives and shared folders.
The basics of publishing a folder in AD is that it creates a shared folder in AD that gets advertised in the GC. All the user does is search the GC for the folder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To my knowledge Active Directory is no longer implemented in windows xp so i dont think you can actually search active directory in xp. i think its the same for win 2003 as well. You can create shared folders in xp. thats the closest thing i can think of that is related to your problem. I think windows 2003 Server may have it, but i have not messed with that operating system yet.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
GC is the Global Catalog. I will list all domain users, printers, shares, etc.. For example, if you wanted to add a network computer to a workstation, you would serch AD for a printer. What happens is when it searchs AD, it contacts the GC server. The GC server tells the workstation all avalible printers that the users has access to.
For us it is easier to email a link, for the shared folder, to the user than to try to publish shares.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.