Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have one question for an expert to help me out. I'm configuring a Windows 2003 Server and will be promoted into Active Directory to replace an existing Active Directory Server which is running on Windows 2000. Win2000 AD Server has around 80 live accounts and files are being access through Users and Public Folders.

Moving of user data won't be a issue, my only big concern is the existing accounts. How will i migrate the accounts into the new server (win2003) without disjoining and rejoining the client PCs and the new server will still recognize the clients ?

I will still use the same existing server name.

·
Registered
142 Posts
why do you need to use the same server name? Personally I would setup the second server and run it on the same network, set it up as a additional domain controller, and make sure to set it to hold a copy of the global catalog. Then I would use the group policy to re point all the data to the new server. and then finally when done I would demote the other server. oh and dont for get to change the DNS to point to the new server

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new server (win2003) will replace the current server because of Offline issues between clients and server. It is timing due to unknown reason, that is why i want to replace the server and to start monitoring offline issues again between PCs and Server.

All DLink switch have been checked and confirmed running 10/100 mbps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am not sure I entirely understand your problem, when you say offline issues, do you mean to say that the client workstations are switching to offline mode at random? if so that sounds like a problem with the client workstations seeing the DC. I have run into this problem a few times, almost every time it was because the DNS server listed a IP for the DC that did not existed(or at least was not visible to the clients), and it was the first entry. SO in this scenario I would get random events of the clients not seeing the server, mainly becasue they would cahce the DNS, and it was onthe refresh interval that the problem would go away , or come back.

"It is timing due to unknown reason" what do you mean by timing? timing of what?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.