Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using an old version of Acronis in Linux on an optical disc to do image backups of my machines onto Seagate portable external drives for years.

Once in a blue moon (very rarely) I'll get a warning part-way through saying it failed to read to the drive, and it hangs at that message. In the past I've opted to toss the portable external drive on the assumption that it could be getting unreliable, but this drive is not that old and it seems worth asking here if it's much more likely it was just a hiccup in verification or something than a bad drive.

It's the primary if not only machine in a business with huge implications if things get lost, depending of course on hold recent the prior backup is. Yet funds are a bit tight for throwing these things away if it's entirely not necessary.

The machine is an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 with 16 GB RAM, so it should be having no problems. I'm connected to the portable external drive via USB 3. There's certainly plenty of space.

So, in my shoes, would you toss the drive, or just redo the backup and if it goes okay and there are no hiccups, and it reads okay in the log file, then trust it (with my life) to be fine?

Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seagate Portable Drive
2 TB
Model: SRD0NF1
(P/N 2N1AP5-500)

Oddly, I decided to try to reuse the drive, so I went into Explorer (Win9) like I have done countless times before and deleted the existing (failed) backup/image folder and created a new folder so I could try to make a new image/backup -- but then when I looked at the available space on the drive 25% of it was showing as used even though there was nothing showing in Explorer to use up any space.

So, with that, I abandoned the idea of trying to use the drive for another image/backup. It seems that if anything will work it will require formatting the drive first, so now the question is if you'd do that.

Thanks!

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
7,442 Posts
Use Disk Genius's Disk Utilities to: 1) view the HDD's S.M.A.R.T. info to determine if the disk has started to develop problems. If so, it needs to be replaced to avoid potential data loss. 2) If that checks out okay though, use it's Check & Repair Bad Sectors utility next to detect and attempt to repair any bad sectors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts