Tech Support banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone else has tried Acronis 2020 because while I used to use Acronis I was weaned off it in 2013 when all backup software rescue disks that were Linux based were failing and I went to Macrium Reflect.

That said I have always used Acronis for cloning disks as simple as Macrium is for image backups, cloning has always been a challenge with Macrium so I continued to use Acronis for that and I decided to try a newer version of Acronis as I had been using 2016.

2020 version installs like a "sludge pot" draining all system resources and takes forever to install. I could not get it to make an image file at all as again it dragged down all the resources and just sat there making nothing stating "collection information" until I got annoyed and uninstalled it. I had the same experience on two pc's enough where I think I will try to get my money back as these are 16 Gb Intel i7 8700 and 9700 high performance desktops.

Anyone else have any experiences with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm running Acronis 2020 on my laptop and do not have any performance issues but I'm using the old .tib format. Any new backups made will use the .tibx format which does appear to have some performance issues. There are complaints in the Acronis forums about the performance especially with the .tibx format. Unfortunately a new backup is forced to use the new format. No choice is given.

·
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I was losing it where with a new backup there are no choices at all.
I uninstalled this version and put back 2016 version I had been using.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think installing it over a previous version works better. I had TI 2019 installed when I originally installed 2020. Although I just did a clean install because of some non Acronis issues and it installed cleanly. There is a cleanup tool available https://kb.acronis.com/aticleanup. This tool sometimes helps because it gets rid of every trace of TI.
I'm currently running a backup with 2020.

·
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I have seen so far I don't want the product I have uninstalled it and asked for RMA. Macrium has never let me down, I only wanted to try a newer version of Acronis but no longer, I have seen enough.

·
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You bought it? There is a 30-day free trial download.
I know that Stan but it never occurred to me it would act worse than any beta programs I used to test though at times I didn't like the interface, I never installed an Acronis program that made me think I had a virus before. I mean you had to see the time it took to install. Then every time I went to open it, it dragged down all my resources and sat there not allowing me to close it or do anything else. I am a current user of 2016 Acronis and have used Acronis off and on for 20 years without ever seeing anything like this on 2 pcs yet. I mean my mainstay since 2013 has been Macrium Reflect Standard version and I have bought it twice since 2013 without issue. Rather than buying newest version I thought let me try Acronis again it has been a while never thinking any of this would happen. You know I normally make an image file before installing new software and even that never occurred to me this time shows you how easy it is to fall asleep. I am posting this to warn others frankly because I never really think about buying a new version of a program I use in comparison with trying some new software for the first time, but in reality, we really should think that I guess!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts