Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a home wireless network using a Motorola WR-850G router and a laptop running XP SP-2 with all updates and a Motorola WN825G notebook wireless adapter. The Network Authentication is OPEN with WEP data encryption. I have set my own network keys.
This computer was on this network(NW #1) for at least a year with no problems. I then moved somewhere else and used another network(NW#2). I came back to NW #1 regularly and it would pick up either location fine. I then went on a trip and connected to 3 or 4 different networks while traveling. I think my first network was dropped off the list (i think it keeps 4 of them) When I came back, it connected to NW#2 fine(had to re-enter key), but when I went to NW#1, it did not connect this time. I enter the key and it accepts the key, but then the Status continues to be "Acquiring Network Address" forever. Eventually it says "Limited or no connectivity" and has the big yellow caution sign over the tray icon.
The computer still connects to NW #2 fine, but no matter what I do, it will not connect to NW#1 anymore. There is a second computer on NW#1 that is still connecting just fine. I have cleared all preferred networks and just have NW#1 in the list now. I have tried uninstalling the Network card also. There is no authenticated access options checked either (which matches how the second computer is set up on NW#1)
Any ideas???

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
Are you sure you have matching keys on both ends? Since you can connect to other wireless connections, that seems to be the logical place to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started with generated keys and tried all 4 keys, withthe same results. I then switched to a simple key that I made up myself with the same results. A new test that I did was to change my network to unsecured with no encryption. I was able to connect. SO, it is not the entering of the keys and I can connect if it is unsecured.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.