Tech Support banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little over a year ago, my Acer laptop encountered a problem while trying to update. As a result, it would not boot at all. Not normally, not in safe mode, and could not even be restored to factory settings. Eventually, I created a boot disc from my old Asus laptop and tried to boot from that. It worked, and I managed to re upgrade it back to Windows 10 (after it booted in Windows 7). It is nice that my laptop is working again, but it thinks it is an Asus when it is an Acer, which may be why it is not running very quickly. Is there a way I can get it back to being an Acer? Restoring to factory default now only puts it back to being a Windows 7 Asus.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
Nothing to do with brands. The boot disc is universal with Windows. Just run Windows 10 and look for other things that might be slowing it down.

·
Premium Member
41,909 Posts
Your HDD may be failing, which could have caused the original problem.
Download Disk Genius in my signature. Select your drive and go up to the Toolbar to Disk. First View SMART Information, this will give you an overall report on the HDD health, then go to View or Repair Bad Sectors/Verify Now. This scan will take a very long time. If all of the boxes are light Blue, the drive is Healthy. If any of the boxes are Amber or RED, the drive needs to be replaced ASAP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts