Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I used acer recovery on my home PC by running the disc from the CD straight and after all the installations, It won't load windows XP at all.

Even safe mode and all the other mode dont work as well.

Any suggestions?

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi bAz666

A few questions:
1) Was the Recovery Disk the same that shipped with the Acer when you bought it?
2) Is the Acer still under warranty?
3) Are you still able to enter the system's Bios Setup?
4) Have you run any hardware diagnostics?
5) Is this the same Acer notebook that had the two-hour blackout problem from your other thread?

A Recovery Disk from any other system than the one it shipped with won't work.

Enter the system's Bios Setup, and check that you have the system's boot order to CD/DVD drive first, then the hard drive. Remove any disks in your CD/DVD drive, and try rebooting.

Should that not work, try downloading and running some diagnostics (or, if Acer has any built-in diagnostics available, run those -- your manual will have info on that). Since few laptops have floppy drives anymore, most diagnostics can run from bootable CDs. Test the memory --- http://www.memtest.org --- and the hard drive --- http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 --- Should you find anything to have failed mechanically, and the system is under warranty, contact Acer right away. Once a warranty expires, all repair costs come from your pocket.

Also -- when you turn the PC on right now -- do you see the power lights, do the keyboard lights flash, and can you hear the fans still spinning, even when the loading of Windows seems to have stalled?

Also -- when you ran your Recovery Disk, if your Acer has a "Bios Protect" feature [the wording is different for different makes/models] it may need to be disabled during a Recovery (and then re-enabled afterwards).

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appreciate your reply but I think Acer gave me a spoilt recovery disc.

I've since called them and they replaced me a brand new one.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Sounds like good support from Acer. Let us know if the replacement disk gives you any trouble.
. . . Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.