Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Acer laptop. (model 5100). And I am trying to reinstall a Windows XP Media Center operating system, but every time I turn it on after about 5-15 minutes it just shuts itself off. If I pull the cord out of the wall then instantly reinsert it, the laptop come on again, then do the same turning-off thing. If I take the cord out of the back of the laptop, put it back in; same thing. I have had this laptop for about 2 years, and it just started doing this a few days ago (even before I tried reinstalling the operating system).
Do u have any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
hi Kaloskid,

5 to 15 minutes? check for overheating. clean the vents and heatsink for dust and other foreign matter. make sure these are free from any obstruction.

if that does not improve anything, reseat the RAM or replace them with known working modules.

try this for now and do post back what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi Kaloskid,

5 to 15 minutes? check for overheating. clean the vents and heatsink for dust and other foreign matter. make sure these are free from any obstruction.

if that does not improve anything, reseat the RAM or replace them with known working modules.

try this for now and do post back what happens.
Thanks for the advice, but how exactly do I clean the vents/heatsink? I'm not exactly very computer-minded. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but how exactly do I clean the vents/heatsink? I'm not exactly very computer-minded. :4-dontkno
-- easiest way is just use a can of compressed air. shoot some thru the vents. that would help clear the dust that has settled in the heatsink.

another way is to open the laptop up and clean the insides. but if you are not the type that would love to open laptops, then this is not advisable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.