Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if they are good computers? Anyone have one or know of someone who does, if so how do they/you like it? What about customer support? Are they reliable? anything about them would be appreciated

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
My primary computer is an Acer Aspire 5670. I was researching possible laptops to take to college for about a month before I finally decided on this one- and I'm confident that I couldn't have gotten a better deal anywhere. This machine has killer specs, and was only slightly over one grand.

I can't really rate the customer service because I've never had to use it. I guess this speaks to the reliability of their machines, but then again I tend to take very good care of my things regardless.

I wrote a review over at epinions.com about the model I bought. I took a look recently and couldn't find it anywhere, so I'm assuming that a different model took this one's place.

You can view my review at http://www.epinions.com/content_303479099012

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well that helped a lot. still going to need more than one decision to make up my mind, more research for me. thanks that does give me confidence in this company as heard they weren't the greastest years ago

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
I also use an Acer as my primary conputer. It is no monster, nothing like Fox's Acer, but it gets the job done, and it is easy to upgrade. RAM only took 5 mins, to take out the two generic sticks and to put in the two new sticks.

BTW, Acer support is really nothing good. That is the only flaw.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been using my Aspire 3000 for a year and a half. Never, ever, had one problem with it - and it's been rode hard. 1000's of hours doing web/graphics design and generally over-multi-tasking. Even if it croaked now, I feel I've got my money's worth for what I paid compared to others at the time.

If support is an issue to you, you may want to consider another brand. I have never had to use it, so it's never been an issue.

Then I read an article in Smart Computing where they tested the 5 major's support. Acer rated an F because their site was so bad, their testers couldn't locate a # to call. I thought, this can't be true...Acer sells alot of computers. They must have tried on a really bad day.

Out of curiosity, yesterday I tried to see a list of drivers for my model. This is weeks, if not months, after the article. They were right. Not only is the site one of the slowest I have ever seen for a major company, it is amaturish at best. It loops you around. I finally, after what seemed like an hour, got to a page that list my specs as ordered. It was in SNAP ITC font - barely legible. Not even the least experienced 12 year old developer would use this font - in anything.

So, computer, I give an A....very happy.
Support doesn't even rate an F...Incomplete...non-existant. I'd happily buy an Acer again, but sometimes a person needs drivers, downloads and support. If they don't fix thier website, I have purchase my last product from Acer.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've used about 4 Acer laptops. They all seem well built and robust. The physical construction is excellent. Performance-wise... well, that depends on the model. The models that I used were excellent. Money to Value ratio: EXCELLENT! For support: I've had to service many Acer LCDs for firmware upgrades. I never had a single problem with their service. I'm sure Joefireline will give you a good, in-depth review if Acer ^_^. Go for it, Joe!

-Eddie

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I own a Acer Aspire 5512WLMi, which I use as my primary computer. So far, it has been amazing. Never had a problem with it.
The specifications you get, for the price you pay, is outstanding! Acer is by far the best value for money. They are also thought of as the most reliable makes for laptops, they have the lowest amounts returns. Mine has been flawless, I have had it for about 8 months, and I am constantly using it, and putting loads of pressure on it, and is always flawless.
I have never had to deal with customer services, so am not sure what it is like. I don't think they are great, but you wouldn't really need to use it, as their laptops are so reliable.

Acer laptops, I would say, are the best make of laptops you can get.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I think Acer laptops are quite good and an excellent value for what you get. However, if you do need support, or need to send it off for a repair, it's pretty much a nightmare. At least, that's been our experience over the last year or so. We still sell a decent number of them, even after telling the potential customer this, but not as many as we used to as there are customers that have already had bad customer service experiences and don't want to possibly have another. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I have an Aspire 1522 LMi that I use as my communications machine. I also do some gaming (WoW and GuildWars) and it runs great.

I only called support once for a bad HDD and it went perfectly. Even spoke to someone who speaks English natively! My sister also has an Acer and the only problems she has with it are the ones she creates, like hitting the wifi button and wondering why she can't connect afterwards.

Acer gets an A from me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've got an Acer Aspire 3002 its amazing in every way from the cost to being easily upgraded. Never had a problem, most come with a warranty. I'd rate Acer over most laptop brands any day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well i keep it in mind, i just wish they would let you pick what you want. if they do i didn't see an option on the website. I'm in no hurry as I'm going to wait several months after Vista is out so the bugs can be worked out

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an acer 5050, and it seems to run very well. I've had it for about 2 months, and I haven't had any problems with it. I even play a few games on it. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you don't want an Acer then HP are not a bad 2nd choice, they have great build quality, they seem to be on the expensive side but usually the hardware is very good for the price. If you need help picking a laptop post your budget, then TheMatt will look high and low for the best one, he's excellent at that.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
well i keep it in mind, i just wish they would let you pick what you want. if they do i didn't see an option on the website. I'm in no hurry as I'm going to wait several months after Vista is out so the bugs can be worked out
Acer have one of the biggest ranges of laptops going, I'm sure you could find one to suit your specification.

You name the specs you want, I'll find it ;)

No, I do not mean 100GHZ quad core processor, 50TB of RAM, 10000TB Hard drive and a 2TB graphics card! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.