Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hya, I just wonder about accounts handling specially since I finished fixing a pc from a bad infestation of malware:

1-On Xp Home the Admin is hidden unless you go in to Safe Mode, Why?
2-On Xp Home you will have 2 Admin accounts, which one is better to use when fixing or cleaning malware?
3-In a pc where everybody wants to be able to install software and because some aplications requiere some level of access when saving info to the HD, I used to have 1 Admin and PowerUsers, but on Xp Home I don't have that option, what to do then?

Thx for your help !!!

Fen

·
Registered
210 Posts
1. XP thinks it knows better than you, so it doesn't show you the Admin account unless you know how to get it.
2. Doesn't matter, really.
3. Because there isn't much use in XP Home. They assume either you have authority to install or you don't. Admin or Limited.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
1. It's there so you will have an admin account to work with in case something goes wrong in "normal mode" and you need to log into an admin account in Safe Mode. It's also there in case you forget your password. It's definitely not "hidden" to protect clueless users, because you are given admin privileges by default whenever you install Windows.

2. They both have the same privileges so it doesn't matter.

3. Assign users as "owner" or give them a restricted account.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well regarding to the second point, if u loggin as an admin ur desktop is gonna show some things as well as your programs menu, that's where I'm going, on Xp pro u have everything in front of u but on Home u don't so I get a little frustrated cause of that.

Thanks for that opinion !!! -razz:

Fen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.