Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive managed to wipe a lot of files off my 1gb seagate barracuda. I was re-formatting it to reinstall mac OSX on one of my partitions, and forgot that the Partition Utility on OSX formats the whole drive and not just the partition you want to install OSX on. So I've got 2 FAT32 partitions and a HFS one with OSX on.

Can I get the data back from the two partitions that have been wiped? I'll happily wipe OSX to get the data back, its got a lot of uni work in that I need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so ive been a dunce and since made it a lot harder (I presume) to get back my data. I got frustrated with installing OSX, and each time I try to install I have to reformat the drive. Done it eight times now (******* kernal panicks, kexts, DSDT's and apple drivers are driving me mad!) each time partitioning it into different amounts of partitions over the original ones.

Does this mean I am now pretty much totally screwed?

Testdisk is on 96% atm but says "Invalid FAT boot sector" so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
^ Thanks I'll try them in a minute.

Now I can see my old D:\ but its says its maximum capacity is 63 gigs even if I try to re-format the whole drive. Should be 1TB.

Guess that do do with the mac format partitions it doesn't recognise?

Oh and to make things a bit more complex, the actual data I am trying to recover is not from a mac format drive, its from a nornal NTFS which I have since formatted over with HFS formatting numerous times. Is that going to prove an issue?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That "recover data for mac" program hangs when it gets to about 2500 partitions found, and it takes hours to get to that point.

As I cant use the drive in windows does anyone know how I can format it back to NTFS in DOS before windows opens? I've given up now. Might have been able to do it if I hadn't formatted it so many times since the data was lost.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok something is screwed. Windows only shows there being 63 gig on the drive even if I reformat it. BIOS does show its 1GB but I'm not sure what to do now :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump, sorry to bump so quick but ive got uni work due in within a week and now got to catch up on a months work :( The quicker I can work out why my 1tb Hard drive is only showing 63 available the better. Also my other 1tb external drive is not loading up at all when I plug it in, but thats a secondary issue. I even formatted my 1TB internal drive to FAT32 in dos by running cmd in windows, and even though DOS says it does have 1TB on it windows still shows it as only having 63 GB which is not enough for my music programs to do my work :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.