Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I accidentally quick format my harddisk.
It contain photos of my baby girl since day one birth till now.

My heart is aching to death and i cant bear to miss any single moment of her growing up.

1) I am originally on window xp sp3. NTFS filesystem
2) I tried using testdisk, but when i run ANALYZE, it shows 2 FAT32 partition - i am pretty damn sure i am using NTFS.

I bet the quickformat format the harddisk as FAT32...

------------

Can i still use testdisk to recover my filesystem ?

Is there any recovery software whereby i can try, i dont mind paying. i just wan my baby photos back ;(..

Please please help.. anybody.:sigh::sigh::4-dontkno

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear JMPC,

I tried recuva but once i choose the drive,
it says -unable to read boot sector.

what should i do.. next.. isnt testdisk of any help at all ?

Rgds,
Noob

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I accidentally quick format my harddisk. What OS were you running when you did the format ? Was this drive a 2nd drive in the system or the only drive that you booted up from ? fwiw testdisk normally does a good job I use it all the time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Network,
I am on win xp sp3 when i did the format, the drive was the only drive.
Once i realise i done a quick format, i immediately buy a new drive and replace it as the master drive.

the wrongly quick format drive become secondary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear JMPC, roger that. the download link on their website is not working. I am getting it on CNET now.

Btw, i used to kept the photos on a thumdrive, before i cut and paste onto the harddisk which i have quick format.

q1) is cut and paste same as "delete" , because i am thinking that if i can use any undelete program (like photorec) on the thumbdrive to get back the photos.

Regards,
Noob

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Cut and paste will remove references from the file system much in the way delete does. You should still be able to recover the files as long as nothing has overwritten the sectors on the drive.

For backup you should store the files in at least two locations. A external drive stored in a fire proof safe (or store it off-site) is a good idea if you want to really be sure your data is safe.

Hard drives can die without warning as can thumb drives. Optical media doesn't last forever either.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
relaxxxxxxxxx>>>>>> getdataback will do the trick! I have used that many times on accidental reformats and it works EVERY time

BTW: TestDisk will not work for you because testdisk is a method for correcting borked partitions; you need file recovery

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
OK how did you manager to quick format the drive while it was booted up to the OS ? From my vast knowledge that is not possible. There is more to this story fill in the blanks as I have a specific reason I am asking these questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi JMPC,

I am download GetDataBack, should i download for FAT32 or NTFS ?
My harddisk now is quickformatted to FAT32, but before that, it was NTFS.

Regards,
Noob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK how did you manager to quick format the drive while it was booted up to the OS ? From my vast knowledge that is not possible. There is more to this story fill in the blanks as I have a specific reason I am asking these questions.

Hi network,
I booted from ubuntu cd and due to my 1/2 dozed brain, i quick formatted the drive! -_-~

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
relaxxxxxxxxx>>>>>> getdataback will do the trick! I have used that many times on accidental reformats and it works EVERY time

BTW: TestDisk will not work for you because testdisk is a method for correcting borked partitions; you need file recovery
Hi guys, i am running getdataback now.

I realised i got quite a few of bad sectors , i choose ignore all - will this be a problem ? i can see the list of bad sectors jumping, but the numbers are not in sequence.

Will i still be able to get back some files ?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
javanoob said:
Hi guys, i am running getdataback now.

I realised i got quite a few of bad sectors , i choose ignore all - will this be a problem ? i can see the list of bad sectors jumping, but the numbers are not in sequence.

Will i still be able to get back some files ?
I am not sure if ubuntu performs a destructive format if yes data overwritten

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi guys,

>>Hi guys, i am running getdataback now.

Will i still be able to get back some files ? <<

can anyone advice ?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
you should be able to get back most of your pics; but you will need to replace that hard drive in the very near future

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The 1sec quick format wiped out your mft. You may want to try photorec thats with testdisk to carve for pictures. Without the
Mft you loose filenames and dir structure its going to be time consuming to recover your pics but possible

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.