Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XP Home
Netgear Router DG834G
Netgear wireless card WG511
No internet security
Previous installation of FreeServe IE

My friend is having difficulty connecting to the internet. He used to have dial-up with wannadoo/ freeserve until last night when he wanted to get his wireless broadband setup working .He connects through the router to a 1Mbps line.

The wireless connection is established for two reasons. 1) It is green at the bottom on the task bar, and 2) I can ping the router no problem at all. Ping 192.168.0.1 works fine with the returns ok etc.

Yesterday I deleted the network bridge that he had and messed around with some settings in explorer.
Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN settings-> Proxy server (checked the box) -> Advanced (cleared everything. There was some stuff in there about www-freeserve.proxy but as he was no longer connecting or using this service I got rid of it all and it worked ok)

His connection worked ok and it was fine.

Today he cannot connect. In the task bar however, it says that the internet connection is established, and in Network connections the gateway is up and running. He says that he was downloading Norton Antivirus from the site when all of a sudden it stopped working. I have uninstalled all of the new stuff he has downloaded but to no avail.

However, I cannot find what is preventing him from accessing the net. I have messed around with no success. The Internet Connection wizard is as much use as a chocolate fireguard in a supernova and does nothing.

Any help would be much appreciated for this fine fellow who is technologically disadvantaged (as am I!!!)

kind regards,

Mark

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
his ipconfig does not worjk!!

It hangs then just returns to C: :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.