Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Any solutions to the following would be greatly appreciated:

I am using Windows XP Home Edition. My user account is password protected and in "My Documents" I have several private (as in "not shared") folders, with no backup. Recently my windows died on me. It is impossible to start the windows installation in C:\WINDOWS\. Just as a means to evacuate my documents from the computer so that I may format C: and reinstall, I installed another windows under C:\WINDOWS2\ on the same partition. This sort of worked and by booting that windows I have now been able to find my old documents in C:\Documents and Settings\ and burn them on CDs. However, the private, non-shared folders in that folder I cannot get access to since I am not now logged on my old user account. The folders are all there but when I try to open them I get an error message saying "No Access".

Is there any way I can go around this? Is there a way I can copy a user account from one installation of XP to another? My user account from the old installation is a folder in C:\Documents and Settings\ together with my user account in the new installation. Can I make my new windows recognize both and give me the option to log on to either of them? Other ideas? All I need is ten minutes of access to these folders so I can make a backup. After that I will format everything anyway so it doesn't have to be a solid, permanent solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be the best solution - to restore the original installation. However, when I use the repair option as you say things aren't automatically restored to functional status. Instead I am prompted for a password and after that I am suddenly in a command prompt of some sorts, similar to MS-DOS. Can I use this to repair the installation?

BTW: Is it possible to log on to ones user account in command prompt? If I could, I could change the rights of the folders in question, sharing them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both the account in the new and the old installations are administrator accounts, yes. But logging on as administrator seems to have no effect. I still can't get access to those private, non-shared folders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.