Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, after some help with access........let me begin!

I'm working as a receptionist, just temping and they don't have any way of logging all calls other than pen and paper! So, me being the genius that I am, have created an Access DB to log calls.......

The plan is then to just email the individual with the phone message.....I've set up a macro to do this....no probs there......

Problem is that there are some fields that the recipient doesn't need to see....so I've created a button that takes you to another table with the unneccessary fields taken out.....then on this table I've got a macro that sends the record to the recipient.....only prob is that it sends all the records....not just the most recent, which is what i want it to do.

Any suggestions? Think i need to filter the records so that only the most recent is shown, however I don't know how to do this

Please help!!!!?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's how you can get around the multiple record problem:

I'm assuming you're using a form to do your data entry. If not, you should create one because it helps a lot.

1. If you dont' have one already, set up an AutoNumber field to act as a primary key for each message. Call it something like message ID

2. Set up a query as Pseudocyber suggested with only the needed fields.

3. For the criteria in the MessageID field, you're going to query by form to control what records are outputted. Here's how:
In the top line of the criteria box, reference back to the MessageID text box of your data entry form. The syntax will look something like this:
[Forms]![frmYourForm]![txtMessageID]

4. Run the query. If your criteria is set up right, only one single record (whatever is currently on the screen when you hit your button) will be returned.

Just so you know, if you try and run the query without having the form open and on a current record (not a new record), you'll get an parameter query error asking you for some input. The whole thing is based on whatever value is displayed in the MessageID field. Just make sure you're on an active record an you'll be fine.

Good luck!
Patrick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.