Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently used xp system restore after a virus attack caused windows not to start. xp started the system restore automatically after login, i had no choice. it then did something for a few seconds and locked up. i only had to go back to the last restore point to recover everything. i am virus free. :smile:

but now i can't access my encrypted files. i get "access denied" even tho i created the folders with my admin account.

xp has created a new admin account with the same name and password. i can see both accounts have a CA Root cerificate that is not trusted.

i tried adding my new user account by using the encrypted file properties to gain access, but xp reported "error in adding new user. error code 5.", which is a big help. :sigh:

how can i get access to my encrypted folders/files again?
i hope somebody knows the answer, thanks. :wave:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:wave: thanks for the quick reply, now i know what error 5 means! :rolleyes:

but as i am a member of the admin group and i created the file, i should not get "access denied".

although two CA Certificates with the same name/password are stored in xp, only one is shown at the login screen. i'm not sure how to undo what xp did in error. i'll keep searching for the answer...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.