Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get files off my old computer - both on xp home. They can see each other fine, I have the drives mapped, guest accounts activated on both machines. For most files it is no problem, and I can copy it over, but there is an occasional random file where i get "access denied". These files are always in the same folder as others that work, which makes the problem even more confusing for me.

Also, if I use the file transfer in UltraVNC that will work for the files in question, just not through Windows Explorer.

They files are not in use, for example today a one photo from a folder of 80+ would not transfer. The same for a Word doc. I have made sure they are not set as read only or protected.

Any idea why this is?? I have not been able to figure it out after lots of searching.

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
Are they still not available after you reboot the computer with the shared files?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is correct. I have tried restarting both machines several times, and still the same result. However, it does appear to always be the same files giving me trouble. I just can't see what is special about these files.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
edit: figured this one out. Turns out that the files in question somehow lost their ownership permission for "everyone". Of course, this would have been noticed right away if xphome didn't insist on simple file sharing. oh well, now i know.

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
Glad you figured it out, I was going to suggest booting in safe mode, but you apparently beat me to it. :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.