Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My laptop has two user accounts (me and my wife) with administrative privileges and a third user with guest privileges. I am using Windows XP SP2. Lets say I am logged in and want to access some file located under "My Documents" from my wifes account. The only way I can do this is to log out of my account and log into my wifes account. I am tired of this switching, is there a simpler way. I don't want to merge the accounts. Users account settings do not give me an choice to do this.

I noticed that in Win Vista, you can access files from a different users account if both of them have administrative privileges.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Shankar

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
hello ,

when setting up your accounts up did you make them private ?

if so then you may have to make your files on both accounts as shared with all users , i have not have done this in a while , i will do the research and get back to you , but in case some one has an alternative method try it !!

i beleive you must do this thru the hidden administrtor account that is in safe mode , for this account is the one that controls both of the accounts on your system

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,
I believe I made the accounts private, so that anyone using the guest account would not be able to see the files in the other user accounts.
I tried logging into the administrative account in safe mode but that did not give me any new additional choices for changing user settings.

Does anyone have a clue to this?

Thanks,
Shankar

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
hello t shanky n,

i know of a program that will work for you but you will have to install it on one of you administator accounts

it is designed by microsoft and gives that usre the contol over all the accounts

if you would like it i will get the link for it again snd send it to you and you can check it out for your self

Mike

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
hello again ,

you can remove the passwords for both accounts

then try accessing the files

then create new passwords / when it ask if you want to make then private say no

then you can set administrated privl. to the guest account

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike,
1) I would really appreciate if you can post the name or link for the program you have mentioned to customize user accounts. Is this program from Microsoft.
2) I removed the passwords from mine and my wifes account. But this did not help. Microsoft just won't allow me to even enter another users documents. Actually, on my second laptop, I created users for the first time, and strangely it did not mention the public/private thing. I remembered to see this public/private settings on my first laptop during creation of the user accounts. Both the laptops have XP home SP2 on them.

Thanks,
Shankar

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
A simple way is to create a folder, give access to it only to the Administrators group, and store the common files there.

No fuss, no muss, and the guest account won't be able to access it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike,
Thanks for sending the link for the steadystate application. It doesn't look like the application will do what I want, but I have not lost hope. The application is pretty good when it comes to administration of user accounts.

Thanks,
Shankar

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chevy,
I tried your approach, but it didn't work. I have done this in Unix and Linux, but I am unable to do this in Windows.

I logged in as the administrator, created a folder "test" in C:. I right clicked on the "test" folder and went through properties. No item in the "sharing" tab is highlighted. I wonder why...

Please advice.
Shankar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.