Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my problem. Due to resources conflict and downloading and uninstalling software, I have been forced to reformat my hard drive at most 6 times. Now that Symantec website ran a test of all my ports, it found that many were being run by some software of which I was not aware:
Backdoor/SubSeven
Bla, Attack FTP
Netspy
Spy Sender
Hack 'A' Tack, etc.

Two days ago, I tried (once more) to reformat my drive. It did not let me! I could not even delete the C: drive. I have done this before without a glitch.

Is it possible that I have a utility that is preventing me from reformatting it so that it could not be deleted? I know of some utilities/software that is stored in the board (Timbuktu?) and that it is difficult even for a knowledgeable person. Suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention

I forgot to mention that if I tried to reformat/delete the drive, it would give me a message of "Access Denied" or something similar to it.

Also:
System: Win98 SE
Brosers: IE 5.5, Netscape 4.79
Utilities: Symantec's Norton, ZoneAlarm (recently went Pro)

Once more, Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Hello OneKnight

Did you try fdisking it first?
Also what brand of hard drive are you using?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get back to you on that.

I will run a through surface test right now. As to the HD, I bought it built but I will try to locate the specifications.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,294 Posts
OneKnight, it sounds as if you have acquired some nasty Trojans there. I'd try booting from a floppy created on another machine and running fdisk as well.
MT

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
One Knight:
I'm guessing you still have some sort of GUI ( i.e. not doing this in DOS), because if so there is a piece of magnificent shareware software out known as TDS ( Trojan Defense Suite) available at http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/ It is really good, plus there site has a million other utilities for solving your situation. As for the inability to format the C: drive Midnight has the right idea with getting a boot disk preferably made on another comp (you never know how long you've been infected) and fdisk then wipe it in... ugggh DOS! Good luck!

Valiant2003

If you can't beat them join them, and bring them down from the inside >: )

I am not a crook... I am hacker mind you
-M.J. Powell

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
One Knight:
I should probably say thanks to Xerox23.. i was randomly roaming through posts, when i came across a former problem of his... anyway you should check to make sure the jumpers on the hard drive are set correctly... it should be labeled on the drive on one spot or another. Good luck

Valiant2003

If you can't beat them join them and take them down from the inside >:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mmmmmmm

I have tried to post this three times at a coworker's station but it "determined" I had not logged in (which I did). Anyway.

Thanks for your responses.

I only have one drive. But two curious thing has also happened:
my d: (CD-ROM) drive is not reading anything and the default windows logon WAV file is corrupted. When I try to access the CD-ROM, it says that it is not available. This has been going on for about three months, and the WAV file I just cannot recall what is says. I will check out the web site, Valiant2003. I will also try to get a copy of the boot disk from IT here at work.

Just to let you know, too, that I find these forums very informative. I have been at others where they give you solutions with a lot of "glittering generalities." Too many things with too little of substance. I am just glad that I am here. Thank you people. I will be back soon (I hope with more answers than questions).

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,294 Posts
Thank you, OneKnight! We thank you for your support! And let all your friends know about the sites (www.techsupportnet.com, etc)!
MT

S

·
0 Posts
If it's boot disks your lookin for try here just click on boot disks on the upper left, And Whallah boot disks for everything.....;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will ditch some files.

Thank you all for your responses.

I was thinking that I will have to ditch some of my files since I do not trust them completely (except the ones I know). And I will have to download everything that I do not own on a CD again. You see, what started me to do this again was that Explorer was poping two more drives with a rtf-document-alike icon next to them. I think it is on one of my currect documents and I am just reinstalling it time and again on each reinstall. Valiant2003, I check out the site and used a utility. I found two worms, which I don't remember (I am at work). I try to use my system the least because if it is sending something to the web, I cannot stop it. I will try (to reformat it) again today. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Success!!!

We did it. We did it.

Valiant2003: your web site suggestion worked. I think I had two worms.

Speedo: I used the boot disk from the web site you suggested.

Midnight_tech: Checked out the site.

I also ran fdisk, deleted and redid the DOS partition (I am not knowledgeable but I think they might have been logged there).

One minor detail. I installed the OS from the D: drive, which is not working now. ??? But I still have my CD-RW one. I am going to disable it and reinstall it back again to see if it works (yes, I will also change the jumpers). I will leave E: as the master. But my problems are gone now. Thanks everyone for your help. And I will be back soon (again) !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.