Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please can anyone help me get sound on my computer. Just installed M7VIB motherboard from Bioster (VIA) AMD AthalonXP using dual Win98 and Linux (redhat) everything else works but my sound.

When I play a cd or mp3 the music seems to be playing on board but no sound comes out from the speaker?

Driver current, sound on!

Could I have installed the wires or audio-in cables wrong???

Please help.

Plus where can one find manual for motherboard to troubleshoot problems?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Make sure your speakers are good, try connecting headphones up and seeing if you get sound that way, if you still get no sound make sure the audio connections in the back are connected correctly.

One last thing, if its onboard audio make sure its enabled in your bios. Since it fails in both OS's chances are its a bios or connection problem and not software/driver related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The speakers are working when connected to other computers and even my headphones do not work when connected to computer. Audio is enabled on my bios.

How can I check that the audio connections are connected properly?

Can the motherboard be faulty?

S

·
0 Posts
You can find the manual here.

And you will probably need Adobe Acrobat Reader if you don't have it available here.................;)

·
Registered
711 Posts
One quick test for Redhat would be to do the following.

at a shell prompt type:
"lsmod" without the quotes.

You should see at minimum that says.

ac_97 codec

that means the on-board audio chip is working correctly or atleast has been seen by the OS. There are also testing utilities under the preferences section that allow you to test system alerts and such. You might want to try those and see if you get anything.

Good Luck,
Drew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.