Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

I'm hoping somebody can help me with my problem before I loose my mind and trash my PC.

I am using WinXP with Service Pack 2 installed.
My PC is running a 2.66 Celeron chip with 1GB of RAM on an ASUS P4VP-MX motherboard.

We I run programs, most of the time my computer starts to chug and my CPU usage jumps to between 90 and 100%. Winamp does this all the time. How can something like Winamp be using that much of the CPU? I have no idea what to do. I run virus-scans and adware scans. I've defragged.

I bought this PC so that I would have more power for my music sequencing and now it's a hassle just to watch DVDs or listen to an MP3.

I will give my first-born to whoever can help me :smile:

If you need any more info, just let me know and I'll do my best to get it to you.

Thank you,

JuniorC

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have not needed to use it but you need to start the computer and do nothing else but run Performance Monitor.
Start, run, perfmon.exe
You will need to configure this for your needs by clicking on the white paper icon with the yellow dot and then right clicking it and selecting add counters, then add % processor time, % interrupt time, and % idle time.

Note: the colored lines don't have a legend so note each one when adding them.

You would want to record the % of each item for a baseline and then you can
start some programs besides Winamp and note the Performance impact and keep starting your normal load and record the % results and post back here.

Worked4me

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.