Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to change the fact that people can log into a computer without even typing in the correct password? A co-worked of mine is having this problem and I am not sure how to fix it. He is logging into the local domain but if you press ESC you can get into his email and everythig. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortuately this is an older gentleman and he has a fear of changing anything. You know how they can get. Heh. Is there any way to fix this besides upgrading?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm afraid not. Windows ME and versions below were not created with security in mind. He can either upgrade, or he can continue to allow people to openly run around on his system.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Here's a freeware program that locks the system with a password...

System Lock http://www.snapfiles.com/get/systemlock.html

If you don't want to add software then there is a simple technique that you can use that the average person wouldn't catch on to right away.

Use windows explorer to make sure there is a profile in windows directory for the user first. Then goto the Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up\ folder and right click in the right pane to create a shortcut.

Use this command line:
rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 6

and name the shortcut something vague or misleading like 'mouse on'.

When someone uses the Escape key or cancel button at logon box the computer will reboot.

If you use 4 instead of 6 at the end of the command that forces the pc to shutdown and people are reluctant to turn it back on. :grin:

Note: startup applications (and links, batch files, etc ) can be bypassed by pressing the Ctrl key while the desktop loads, but most people don't know that.

(works for win98/ME)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.