Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just recently assembled a computer.. my motherboard is a ABIT AN52V AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX.. running off a 450W power supply.

I have a 120MM rear exhaust fan, and a 80MM case fan I want to hook up. Both are 4 pin molex. Great, they work. Amazing air flow!! However, they are RIDICULOUSLY loud.

SO my question is, I have two 4pin mol to 3pin converters.. if I hook them up into the corresponding "SYSFAN" output, and "AUXFAN" output:

1) is this bad for the motherboard? is it/would it be drawing too much current?
2) Would the motherboard toggle the speeds of the fans? It is ridiculous at night. This bad boy sleeps in my room, and it is just insane. I can barely sleep. I've searched google with no luck(It actually brought me to a different post on this very same forum)

If 2) = not possible, I can always buy a fancy little Drive Bay Controller. But I'm kind of clueless atm, so I was hoping you guys could point me straight.

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes it will work. (Make sure you match the wires right though)

Not bad for the motherboard, since fans only draw a small amount of current. Some motherboards don't push much current through those connectors though, and it may spin slower, and quieter, which would be good for your purposes.
If the motherboard doesn't allow for it, you could use speed fan to do so.

But my very best recommendation is to get an Antec Tri-cool fan.
They are very quiet even at high speed, and you can barely hear them at low, even though
they still move a decent ammount of air. (the 120mm ones)
And the Tri-cool fans wouldn't cost much more than a bay controller.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it will work. (Make sure you match the wires right though)

Not bad for the motherboard, since fans only draw a small amount of current. Some motherboards don't push much current through those connectors though, and it may spin slower, and quieter, which would be good for your purposes.
If the motherboard doesn't allow for it, you could use speed fan to do so.

But my very best recommendation is to get an Antec Tri-cool fan.
They are very quiet even at high speed, and you can barely hear them at low, even though
they still move a decent ammount of air. (the 120mm ones)
And the Tri-cool fans wouldn't cost much more than a bay controller.

Speedfan. I must do a little research in this.

My exhaust fan that I really need to control is the Apevia 120MM CF12SL.

Well, the benefit of the Bay Controller, I thought, would be to control all of my fans... I plan on adding a third case fan when I start playing with overclocking.

Many thanks for your reply. I will hook them up to the motherboard today. Hopefully, speedfan can control them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Speedfan does NOT work. It won't toggle fan speeds. It reads rpms, my heatsink fan is running 2000rpm, and my exhaust is running at 1700(It's the main one that needs to be slowed down), and my aux(side of case) is running at 1600.

Is there an option I have to look for in BIOS?

I know the exhaust fan has a speed controller on it - but I was hoping to be able to use Speedfan, so it auto adjust.. and I can play games without worrying / etc.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.