Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother got a new system... discarded his old tower with a ABIT AB-BX6 motherboard.
So i stripped his computer until there was the mother board and cpu (p3 800mhz)

then i installed everything else from my computer into his tower.
I installed my video , sound and harddrive...
Problem is now...when i load up the ab-bx6 machine it gives me an error which says , and i quote
"Primary master HD failure."
It doesnt even recognize my HD at all....in fact ive tried the win98 boot disc and cd as well as the win xp boot disc and cd , but to no avail....
I have the exact same proccessor 800mhz as this machine i now have... and i have used old harddrives on different motherboard and had success yet with the abit ab-bx6 it doesnt even recognize it.... ive checked the wires a thousand times everything is connected and ive even swapped wires to see if i had bad ones......but nothing...
Any idea why the ab-bx6 wont recognize my other computers harddrive? ive tried about 5 hd's on the board but not get recognized.....
Im sure there might be some switch in the bios to fix this but im not sure which it is, and its seemed ive tried most of them.
Any help here would be much much appreciated as im pulling some major hairs now.
Sory for all the run on sentences im in a crisis lol.
thanks!
merx

S

·
0 Posts
Hello meRx and Welcome to Tech Support Forums............:D

Have you tried to auto detect it in the bios?

What brand of hard drive do you have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the welcome..
Yeah ive tried the auto detect, the hardrive i have is a 40giger western digital 7200rpm ide

S

·
0 Posts
If you have the drive set as primary master you have to take all of the jumpers off of the drive, WD only.

Also if it is an ATA100 drive you need to use a 80 wire IDE cable with the blue end connected to the motherboard.

And make sure you have the red wire on the IDE cable facing the power plug on the drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.