Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and welcome all. My problem is that when I turn on my computer (new, 2 months old?) nothing shows up on the monitor, no light goes on when I push NUM LOCK or CAPS LOCK, and the CD Drive doesn't open. This has never happened before. I am guessing that this is a motherboard problem. I can give any other info needed. CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?????

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Take off the case side cover & boot-up the computer / does the cpu fan spin ???? does the video card fan spin if it has one ??? do the case fans spin ????

regards

joe

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I would check first that none of the cards have become unseated. Open her up, check all the connections, the seating of the RAM, PCI, AGP, and any other slots in there.

Do the fans spin up? Do you hear any beeps?

Haha sorry about that linderman, I didn't mean to post overtop you. But I guess the similarity of our posts means that we're on the right track :smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, but I did check that ALL of the four fans were spinning and that the video card is still seated properly. Any other possibilities?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Does the speaker/peizo beep after you turn it on? If not, this will indicate a RAM or CPU problem. Actually it could be a problem with the motherboard itself, or it could be an indication of a short circuit. Have you tried booting outside of the case, putting the motherboard on a piece of cardboard? Sometimes the side of the case can touch the underside of the motherboard and cause a short circuit.

If it beeps multiple times, this is a better sign, but it still signals a problem.

I've always found that taking the whole thing apart and putting it together again starting with reseating the CPU usually helps in diagnosing the problem.

And to clarify, this computer has been working up until this point, right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't beep when turned on. Put the motherboard in a piece of cardboard? I'm not exactly sure how that works and I don't know how to reset the CPU. Ummmmm...yes it has been working up till now for several months now. Thanks for the reply.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Sounds like something has failed then. There's not much use taking everything out of the case since this computer has been working up till now.

I would try swapping out the
- Power supply
- RAM
- CPU
with known working parts to narrow it down.

It'll be easiest if you start with something you have already. If this is a brand name computer, you may have a proprietary power supply which can be a pain in the rear end to replace, especially if you're out of warranty.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Please post your specs, CPU ,Mobo, Power supply make and wattage
Ram manufacturer, size etc. It is hard to give you any direction without those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.