Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here, so forgive me if this is some ancient issue that I don't know about.

I recently bought a barebones case/motherboard/processor combo to put my components in. An A8V deluxe mobo with AMD64 3500+ processor (400 watt power supply), and plopped in my Radeon X800, 1 gig of memory, and a couple of 120 gig hard drives, all of which worked fine in my old comp (which was, believe it or not, struck by lightning).

Anyway, upon installation, everything appeared to be running smoothly, but the computer started randomly freezing. No BSOD, just a freeze, and at seemingly random intervals (not with any particular program). I first assumed it was the X800, cause I heard it had some problems with the via chipsets, but I have since replaced every single component in the computer with backups, to no difference. I have adjust the AGP to 4X, disabled fastwriting, replaced the memory, reinstalled windows, added fans, updated the bios, updated all the drivers, and then even replaced the x800 with an old Nvidia GeForce 5200. Nothing changed the problem. I'm at wits end here.

Is there anything you guys can do? I should note that my memory is not all identical, two sticks of PC3200, and two of PC2700's (the latter two also have different ratings on the SPD timing tables). I honestly have never known that much about memory, so I dont know if this matters, but they all worked fine for years on my old comp. So, anything you can add would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Roberto

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

There are two thing I would try if I were you:

First of all, take out all your memory except one stick of PC3200 and be sure to check the motherboard manual to see which slot to put a single slot in. See if that helps. If it works, then put in your second stick. Don't ever try one of the newer board with mixed memory like you have. I think if you check the page on your manual where it discussed QVL memory, it probably talks about the same type of module in each slot of dimm.

Second, tell us what brand name and specs of your power supply. There are many 400 watt supplies (most of them), that simply won't pull the board and CPU you have and adding a high powered video card only adds to the power hungry mix you have. Therefore, I would say your power supply is probably suspect at this point.

Post back and let us know how it goes and provide more information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply. As for the memory, I have tried pulling both the lesser sticks out, with only the two identical PC3200's in there, and that didnt do it, so I'm almost certain that leaving just one in would do the trick, but I'll try it again just to make sure.

As for the powersupply, I'm afraid Im at a loss, I bought this package from Alvio.com, with one of their generic case/power supply combos. I dont know all that muck about PS's, so I dont exactly know what info you want, but it says ATX PX400 Rexpower on the side of it. I'm sure its a piece of crap, but I had read that 400 watts should be enough for the X800 with an AMD 3500. Am I wrong? Obviously, I shouldnt have scrimped there, but the 5200 Geforce isnt a monster, and I still get freezes with that (though admittedly less often).

If it is the PS, what is to be done? Is there anyway to upgrade this case, or do I need a whole new one? Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Vigokrell said:
Thanks for your quick reply. As for the memory, I have tried pulling both the lesser sticks out, with only the two identical PC3200's in there, and that didnt do it, so I'm almost certain that leaving just one in would do the trick, but I'll try it again just to make sure.

As for the powersupply, I'm afraid Im at a loss, I bought this package from Alvio.com, with one of their generic case/power supply combos. I dont know all that muck about PS's, so I dont exactly know what info you want, but it says ATX PX400 Rexpower on the side of it. I'm sure its a piece of crap, but I had read that 400 watts should be enough for the X800 with an AMD 3500. Am I wrong? Obviously, I shouldnt have scrimped there, but the 5200 Geforce isnt a monster, and I still get freezes with that (though admittedly less often).

If it is the PS, what is to be done? Is there anyway to upgrade this case, or do I need a whole new one? Thanks again for your input.
Hi,

Although one cannot say for sure, it sure looks dim to me about the power supply. What they don't tell you, is that to buy a quality power supply, it will cost close to $100.00 bucks for one. The one you purchased sells for $11.95 (sold separate from the case) in the links I saw. What they don't tell you, is that a 400 Rexpower supply won't even begin to put out as much power as an Enermax or Antec 250 watt power supply. For your unit, you should look at a 480 to 500 watt power supply as a minimum. Most of the techs on this forum buy nothng but Antec or Enermax power supplies (some exceptions) most of the time. They are the most cost effective and are real quality power supplies. One can also tell a lot about a power supply by the weight. Yours is listed as 2.32 pounds. A good power supply will weigh over twice that much.

As a rule, one can put a new power supply in a case and make it work with no problems. What I would suggest, is that you go to Bestbuy or Staples and get an Antec or Enermax supply in the range we talked about and try it in your unit. If it does not make it work like you want it to, then return the power supply to them and get your money back. That way, there would be no question and it would not cost you if it did not solve the problem.

On the memory issue, would well be worth just trying one stick of memory.

Let us know how things go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, well I did try the single memory stick suggestion, and I got a freeze some half an hour later. I subsequently used several memory testing programs to check the validity of the memory, and got no problems. So I think we can either assume its a broken Mobo, processor, or power supply. Since I can't do jack about the first two, let's say you're right, especially since the specs you mentioned in the last line look pretty bad.

I do still have my old comps power supply, which did run the X800 with a similiar processor (I think a p4 3.4 gig) with no problems, so should I try to install this one? I bought it in Japan, so maybe you've never heard of it, but its a 400 watt Ever-power ATX12V PK-400. It weighs 3 something pounds (according to my bathroom scale), but most of the numbers on the little sign only seem slightly higher than the current one. It costs about $70 (in yen). Is it worth trying this old one, or do I need one of the brands you mentioned? Thanks again

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

What I would do is slip the motherboard out of the case and set it near the case of your old computer on a piece of cardboard or non-conductive surface and give it a try building your computer out of the case. What can you lose if it worked before.

What you must understand is that many power supply companies list the power of their supplies, but they rarely put out what is claimed. The weight has to do with the amount of copper and material inside that produce the power output, so usually (a rule of thumb) is the heavier, the heavier duty the components are in the power supply....hence more power.

I know nothing about the power supply you mentioned, but if it works, then you know that is the problem. If you can get it to fit the case without too much trouble and want to switch it, then give that a try. If it helps your problem, then you have found the answer and if not, then you may need to look for another solution.

Last, have you had a chance to monitor temps and voltages from your computer while it is working??? Take a look at the onboard PROBE program and see what the temperature and voltage outputs are for each rail.

Post that information back and that might give us a clue. You can do this before you try the other power supply and maybe there will be something that will guide us to a solution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I slapped the Japanese power supply in there, and it was considerably heavier than the one I have I should mention, and so far, everything is running fine, with all 4 sticks of memory and the X800 back inside. But it sometimes takes more than a day to freeze up, so I'll let you know how it goes.

(Oh, and the temps of all components have always been well within limits)

So, I'll be back in a day or so, and if this works, I owe you 3-4 steak dinners, my good man.

(Oh, and as a footnote, If this indeed works, then I'd like to just curse out www.alivio.com, who sold me this power supply assuring me it was more than enough for my needs, and warn anyone who reads this to do no business with those rapscallions. Especially since all my emails to their "tech support" were returned with a "address does not exist." To hell with the lot of them)

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

So glad that it seems to have helped. If it works, then use that power supply until you need a new one. The weight definitely makes a difference in materials that were used. If you skimp on copper wire in coils and such, then you don't have the power. There is actually more to the weight than that, but wanted to give you an example.

Anyhow, fingers crossed and be sure and let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DAMN IT!! About 5 hours after the switch, same ole story, total computer lock up. I'm out of ideas, except to ask for a refund.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Your computer was hit by lightning, how many of the componenets from that machine now reside in the new machine?

Here are some things to try.

With everything connected boot the machine to a DOS prompt with a floppy or CD and let it sit for a while. If it freezes in DOS then you know it is not your OS.

Strip the PC down to the bare minimum including the keyboard and mouse Leave the CPU, RAM, Video and a floppy or a CD Drive. Boot from the floppy or CD to a DOS prompt and let it sit. If it freezes then it is probably the bare bones hardware you bought. If it does not freeze then start reconnecting one componenet at a time and repeat the test.

Take the motherboard out of the case and place it on a non conductive surface. Boot the PC and let it run for a while (watch temps low air flow). If it freezes then it's not how it is mounted in the case.

Turn off all motherboard features, sound, USB, Power managment, try a different video card, etc.

I think you get my point, it's a process of elimination. Even if you cannot fix it at least you will have some ammo when dealing with a return of this system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I tried reinstalling windows yet again on a clean harddrive, but this time I did not install the VIA 4 in 1 drivers, which I had suspected of being the threat, and voila, 2 days without a freeze. So I guessit really is the whole Asus vs. ATI problem that was causing this. Thanks for all the suggestions though. At least I learned how to properly install a power supply.

Ah, btw, since I am not installing the 4-1 drivers, I imagine something on my computer is lacking. My Raid controller and my USB controller both are without drivers (but USB ports work fine). Im hesitant to touch anything, for obvious reasons, so are any of these things essential? All my games seem to be running at high FPS, so I was hoping just to leave the drivers uninstalled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.