Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought myself the parts to assemble a computer, since this is the first time i've been doing it, i tried to be simple as possible with the budget i was on

Heres what i got:
Asus A8V Motherboard Socket 939 AGP 8x
Athlon 3000 64
Geforce 5500 LX
430W powersupply, not sure what brand, came with case
512 mb of RAM
CD-RW
120 mb ATA 133 hdd

here's my problem:
I've got all the components working and recognized, but the processor itself, when my system boots up it says my bios does not recognize my processor, any ideas why? and when it doesn't recognize it, that's where it ends. it's the first time these parts have been put together, i need this computer for univerisity, so i really don't have the option of sending the motherboard out for waranty, unless it's a last resort. any ideas would be nice

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Some of this model motherboards require that you update the bios to recognize some of the faster CPU's. Do you know what BIOS revision you have?

I would upgrade the bios and then give it a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well.. how would i do that without having an OS, or any way of even getting into system setup, because everytime i do it, i can't get past the opening screens detecting what my computer has?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

My best guess is that you can get into the DOS environment. Take a look at your Chapter 4 (I don't have that board or manual (and with dialup at this location, can't download it), but it is there on most ASUS board manuals) and it will explain how you can update the bios through the dos environment. Take a look and see if you can get that done. Please follow each step carefully and do not shut down while you are in the process of updating.

Oh, you might also want to try first clearing CMOS and see if that helps, but I do think you will have to make a BIOS upgrade to solve this problem. Just my personal opinion, but you might try to clear it first just to see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.