Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A8V high pitched whine from ethernet adapter

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  please 
#1 ·
Here's my problem I have an A8V Deluxe that has a high pitched whine which is driving me insane. If I disconnect the ethernet cable the whine stops, plug it back in and its back. Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this and how to fix it.

Thanks

Alex

#2 ·
@ alexfjones
Welcome :smile:
Is the whine a tone and coming from the speaker or as in interference/static or is it a vibrational whine or what? Where/what exactly on the card(or wherever) is the noise coming from?

You can try updating/reinstalling the driver(first) then you can try deleting the ethernet adapter from within 'device manager' and reboot allowing windows to redetect the hardware and reinstall the drivers. You might want to have your MB disk ready in case winXP doesn't have proper drivers for it. Recheck in device manager and see if the drivers have been loaded(no yellow circles with exclamation points)...you may want to get the latest drivers from the manufacturer website.

Have you tried a different cable as well?

Keep us posted of your progress.

#3 ·
I've updated the drivers, rolled back the drivers, and changed cables all to no effect. I've also changed the cable so it hooks directly to the DSL modem instead of my router which did nothing.
The sound is a constant heeeeeeem it sounds like it is coming from the power supply but I don't understand why it only happens when attached to the LAN. Is there any way that a problem with the eternet port on the MB could cause this problem in the power supply.

Thanks

Alex

#4 ·
@ alexfjones
wow that is funky! I never heard of that one before. I don't know why it would matter, but are there any wires coming from the PSU that go by or near the ethernet adapter connector/wires or chip? Try moving them.

Did you listen with your case side off? Does your ethernet connection function properly?

I am stumped...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.