Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post.

I have a A8V. My CPU is a 3400. My initail setup was with two identicle sticks of 512 sticks. Couple of months in I used the ASUS BIOs update.

Computer died.

I replaced motherboard. Nope. Replaced CPU with a 3000. Nope. OK... memory. I bought two identicle (aproved) sticks of 1024. Nope.. but I could get one stick to work in the 1st (correct) blue slot.

It must be the BIOs. So I have seen that differant CPUs need a differant BIOs. See here:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

My CPu needs 1009 version. But because I updated to the most recent 1014.8. Still I can't get more one stick to work.

So how can I go back or flash 1009? I can download 1009. But it won't unpack.

There must be a simple answer, but simple man does not see it.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Shan

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

Read your mobo manual carefully on bios updating / the AFUDOS method is MY prefered method by FAR !! I never use Live Update any more and I dont have to get bios chips reflashed any more either !!

I would try just a simple CMOS clear / read your manual on CLRTC

post back on your progress after you clear your CMOS / I would not revert to a lower bios revision until you have tried the cmos clear.

post back on your progress / ask more questions if needed

regards

joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I will do the pull the battery then doing the jumper CLRTC.

What, I gusess stinks, is using the supplied updater.

I will let you know what happens.

Again thanks,
Shan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm back

Multiple reboots.

Did goto 2-18 of the manual. I pulled the battery and moved the jumper. Restarted and got a check sum failure. Went to BIOs set to my boot pref. Let it run. It runs.

Shut it down then added the 2nd stick. Usual thing. The computer starts. Fans and hard drives run but no vid signal. This is typical. So I pulled the second stick. It started right up. Breath...

Shut it down. Loaded the memory settings in BIOs that Samsung says I can use. Started it up. Fine. Shutter down. Add second stick. Fans spin and hard drives sound. No vid signal.

The reply said that they never use the supplied BIOs updater. Amen. But how do I repent?

Shan

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
LOL Repent !!

I would use afudos and download the newest version of AFUDOS for your mobo / THEN try returning to a bios version that was working for you ??????? Afudos will let you load a bios version that is older than your current version !!??

have you tried the memtest yet ??????? it is possible to have a bad memory module run this utility memtest86.com let it run for atleast one hour more is better

keep us posted

regards

joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
afsdos help please

Thanks for the help.

When I try to run afudos on 3.5 floppy I get the following:

usage: afudos /i<rom filename> [/o<save ROM filename>]

I have tried every combination I could think of. It has been a long time since I have done DOS. I know that it must be absolutely correct. So I need some help there

I assume that this is an extraction program. Why because a:\dir says that A*V1009.zip.

Where am I wrong?

Thanks
Shan

BTW all the memory works independently. SisSandra reports both sets (1024 and 512) are identical

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More info

In searching this site (Techsupportforum) for AFSDOS I see that you don’t recommend using just a bootable floppy. Why?

The ASUS site for my A8V Del. Has different BIOs for different CPUs. When I download, either saving to disk or running, the download does not unzips it.

When I “look” at the file it says A8V1009.AMI. It also says it is compressed. OK how do I uncompress it? Or do I?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.