Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently updated my BIOS , for my Asus A7V880 mobo to the newest one version 1009 (not 1010 = beta). My internet connection keeps on disconnecting every 5mins. This never happened with the original BIOS version.

Okay, the reason for updating the BIOS was cuz it didn't recognize the appropiate CPU speed. I have an AMD 2400+ Atholon XP, but it said I had an 1800+. Would anyone know if its ok to overclock the CPU to a 2400+ but in the older BIOS? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
amd's legal stance on overclocking:

AMD Does Not Support Unauthorized Alteration of its Products

AMD places a very high value on its reputation as a supplier of PC processors. Our reputation for quality and reliability rests in part on operation of our products within the specified range of performance parameters for each product. AMD is especially concerned that consumers, who purchase or build systems based on AMD’s reputation as a supplier of high-performance PC processors, receive products that have not been altered or modified without AMD's authorization and therefore are assured of AMD's high level of quality and reliability. Either computer systems or data may be damaged as a result of unauthorized alteration of AMD processors such as alteration of AMD products to achieve higher clock speeds than specified (i.e., “overclocking”). Additionally, AMD’s limited warranty specifically excludes unauthorized alterations among other actions and does not cover damages due to external causes such as improper use or operation outside of the data sheet specifications for the product, abuse, negligence, improper installation, accident, loss or damage in transit, or unauthorized repair or alteration by a person or entity other than AMD. Please refer to AMD’s Warranty Information page.

AMD's goal is to provide our customers with the very best computing experience possible. AMD contributes to the achievement of this goal by providing high-performance, high-quality, reliable PC processors. To support the performance, quality, and reliability of our PC processors, AMD is committed to supporting our processors when they are configured to maintain the specified operating range that is authorized by AMD.

We appreciate your understanding, cooperation, and your recognition that AMD does not support the unauthorized alteration of AMD products.

This means that if you fry it, it's your own fault and don't count on a warranty replacement. Do not hold anybody but yourself to blame.

now with that out of the way

what multiplier are you running on your cpu?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
flash back to the older bios and see if you keep getting the disconnections,if it does contact your isp it may be at their end

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ya, I put in the 1008 BIOS version just to see and it still has network problems. Does updating the BIOS numerous times affect it in any way? B/c I was planning on trying all the BIOS versions 1001-1007. And I haven't overclocked anything yet, I don't know how and that is the last resort in my case. And my internet provider has been stable, I checked.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
no it just replaces the current one,but it is generally advised to only update the bios to fix a specific problem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do u suggest that I do, find a BIOS that keeps the network connection and low CPU, or contact ASUS about it and keep the sketchy connection?

Also, if the BIOS says I have an 1800+, but i actually have 2400+, am I running at 2400+ or the other? since its just a BIOS issue?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
i don't think the bios is the cause of the disconnections that's why i suggested flashing back
is the bios set to auto detect the cpu

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do u mean exactly? When I update the BIOS, aren't I replacing it? And how would i check if it's auto detect? in the mobo manual? I don't seem to have issues with the connection when the BIOS thinks I have an 1800+.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
yes you are replacing it,but you should have a backup copy of the original on your m/b setup disk
when you set the bios to auto detect the cpu,it should be set at the correct speed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bios is set to auto dectect. When the pc starts up on the boot screen it shows that its a AMD XP 1800+ when the cpu is in fact 2400+. The problem that I am running into is that the older version of this bios had this problem of showing a lower CPU speed rather than the correct one. So i ended up upgrading the Bios and then ran into the issues with the internet getting disconnected mind you that this is a onbord Lan adapter. So i dont know exactly what to do, the option that i was told was that keep the old Bios settings and oc the current one to 2400+

The thing that really worries me is that the network does not work when it reads 2400+ but works fine when it reads 1800+

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure what that is, multiplier*FSB, I just saw a menu to overclock to 5%, 10%, 15% etc, so i did 5% and 10% and they worked fine. Should I try a lower multiplier than 13.5? or does that seem reasonable in my case

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
13.5 is what gives you your correct 2400 speed,i only work with intel so i had to check this with a google search,if it is set to low you have not really been o/c at all

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried 13.5 and I got 1300 Hz, so I figured I have a 100 FSB, and I can't find it anywhere to change it. So I started going higher, I was at 1700 Hz at 17*, obviously, then I tried 19* and it reset everything so i left at 17 multiplier. I also did 5% to 20%, it was fine, then it crashed at 30%. So I kept it at 17* multiplier. Network connection still working fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya, it worked, in the mean time I found another post somewhere else with the same issue. They said that the frequncy for both the 1800+ and the 2400+ are set the same, at 100 Hz. All they did was set the multiplier to 15 and the freq at 133 Hz and it fixed the problem. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it a lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.