Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just installed my new mobo with my old components. When I start it up, it seems to power up just fine, but after a few seconds it shuts down again. This all happens before I get to BIOS, or even get a signal to my monitor.
I've tried with two different chips of ram, and with or without the graphics card. Have also cleared cmos, but it doesn't do any good.
Any ideas?

Specs:
MB: Asus a7v600-x
Athlon XP 2700+
2* 512 Apacer PC2700
HDD: IBM Deskstar 185 gig
PSU: Chieftec 340 watts

Help appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Welcome to the forum, this could be a overheating problem.
Did you clean your CPU/heatsink and replace the thermal compound with a fresh thin layer?
Is the heatsink fan working?
Is the cpu heatsink fitted firmly?
Please post back and we can go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have to admit I kind of "cheated" a bit with thermal paste, because I couldn't find it. The cpu fan runs for a few seconds, then shuts down. I hope this hasn't killed the cpu? The heatsink should be fitted correctly, it seems to fit well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:
With one chip of ram and the graphics card, the mobo seems to power up.
The fans for the PSU and graphics card are running.
Have i fried my cpu?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
The reason it is shutting down is probably the system detecting the overheating and shutting down before it fries your CPU.
You CANNOT cheat on the thermal paste, do not start the computer till you have replaced the thermal paste (artic Silver is the most recomended one,go to their site and read the tutorial on how to apply it)
That said it still may not be the issue but first things first when you have fixed the thermal issue try again and then post back and let us know how you went.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought arctic silver today, applied it as instructed, and the system powered up just fine.1
I guess I learned my lesson :smile:
But I still think it's running a bit hot. It idles around 58C. Is this ok?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.