Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have an ASUS A7N8X-X board that has been running for for about 2.5years- but recently has been causing problems- sometimes in the form of random system lockups, but more noticably in it's inability to power-up.

A month or so ago I came home to discover my system completely frozen (I leave it on pretty much all the time). Upon rebooting- NONE of my CMOS/BIOS settings were there. During booting it stated that my CPU speed (AthlonXP 2500+ oc'd to 2.2Ghz) was something like 800mhz. I went into the SETUP and found none of my previous settings. I set everything back the way I expected them, saved, and rebooted.
This time it reporeted the CPU speed at around 1800mhz, but still not the 2200 I'm expecting. So I tried the SETUP again- saved, and this time it stuck, and seems to have stuck ever since.
However, during booting (I run Linux) the system froze unexpectedly. I rebooted- again, the CPU speed was correct, and it did successfully boot into Linux.

Occasionally the system has frozen, or I've needed to reboot for some reason. But bringing it back has become a bit of a chore. I'll hear the fans start up- but get no lights on the DVD drives, nothing comes on-screen, and there is no 'beep' to indicate the system has Posted. I've tried holding the power button while powering it on, I've tried hitting the 'reset' button, I've unplugged it for an hour and tried again. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Tonight, it simply refuses to come back. I opened up the system to take a closer look, and am left scratching my head.
There is no damage to the board- I've carefully inspected it, and I'm always sure to be extremely careful whenever I do anything with the hardware anyways. When this started happening, the most recent thing I changed hardware-wise was add a new soundcard (which apparently isn't supported by Linux- so it isn't even being used), but that was back in July, and this problem has only started happening since early October at the earliest.

What I have noticed after playing with it all night tonight is that when I plug the system in- the onboard LED on the motherboard 'flickers' for some time. During this time- nothing works on the system. Pushing the 'power' button on the front does not start any of the fans, no drives- nothing. After some time (several minutes) of leaving it plugged in, the onboard LED becomes a solid green (no longer flickering). During this time- pushing the power button at least gets the fans (rear chassis, CPU, PSU and video card) spinning for about 4-5 seconds. But there is no 'beep' and the fans simulatneously shut down and begin to stop spinning.

I have tried removing my RAM and my PCI cards (just two soundcards). I have not tried removing the video card (Radeon 9800 Pro) because the aftermarket heatsink I applied to replace the dying stock fan completely 'smothers' the AGP slot locking mechanism making it very difficult to try and remove the card- though if I have to try and remove it, I'm sure I can figure out a way. But as of yet- nothing has worked. I do not have an extra PSU available to see whether it could be the PSU. I did replace the PSU recently (within the last year)- but I suppose I could have a faulty PSU, but the only other thing I can imagine it being is a motherboard issue, but have no real way to know for sure. The only hint I think I have is the flickering onboard LED that becomes solid after several minutes of being plugged in. Perhaps it's the CMOS battery??

I'm really stumped on this one- I'd really appreciate any insight anyone might have about this problem.

Thanks,

- skubik

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Talk to us about the power supply. Brand name, wattage, and amps per rail on the +12 volt line. (found on the side of the power supply)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power supply is an Antec TruePower 2.0 430 Watt (model TPII-430). Not sure what you mean by Amps per rail on the 12V line- looked on the side of the PSU and saw a variety of info. It does say the max load on +12V(1) and +12V(2) is 31A. But for more complete info about the PSU- refer here: http://www.antec.com/specs/TPII430_spe.html
I checked the 'Output' section in the link, above against the info printed on the side of the PSU- they match.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

- skubik

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
I do suspect a power supply problem. Antec makes really good power supplies, but some of the models like yours do have a pretty high failure rate and that is why I suspect this might be a problem. I have personally had a few of those tank in my shop.

Do you know anyone who has one you can try to see if that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks- I did actually find the PSU that was in this system before I replaced it. According to my notes when making the change- this was kinda a precautionary change- I suspected the old one to die due to a few odd noises coming from the back, but it still works.
This afternoon the wife (yes, really- hehe) and I swapped them- and behold, it posted just fine. Tried it a few times to make sure and every time it 'beeped'. So it certainly does sound like a power supply issue.
Any recommendations for a cheap/quality replacement? I've been reading up on a 'SPI ATX-400PN' which sounds promising.
Thanks for all your help. :)

- skubik

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
What video card are you running. That might help to know how much load to prepare for and give us a clue what might be best for your rig in the way of a power supply.

Post Script: How the heck do you get your wife to help you do that, send along the receipe for that one...inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's an AGP 8x Radeon 9800 Pro.

As for the wife- she's kinda geeky like me ;) so she just jumps in- sometimes without asking. hehe

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Here is one smoking deal at $59.99 after mail in rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371002

This is a little stronger than you actually need for this rig, but the deal is so good and the quality of the supply good that it will permit you to upgrade and still keep the power supply. I doubt if you will find even a quality 500 watt power supply for this type of money. A real great deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.