Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario (s5925fr)with an Athlon 2500+.

I seem to have killed the MB A7N8X-LA with a bad BIOS update.

Has anyone ever successfully replaced this MB ?

If so, Congratulations !

Some people say that the A7N8X-VM/400 is the nearest thing, but I've yet to hear from anyone who has actually done it successfully.

In fact, I read a post where a guy says the VM didn't work at all. :4-dontkno

All information gratefully received :!

· Registered
25,266 Posts
Hi,

Are you certain that you fried the BIOS? I don't have time to look it up, but a recent post by linderman had a link on one of his posts in the last week or so about someone on Ebay who will repair or sell you a new bios chip. If you get time, why not search his recent posts (a couple of days ago I think...memory not the best tonight) and get that link and give it a go. That way, you don't have to change the board, only the BIOS chip. A new BIOS chip is in the neighborhood of about 25 bucks if I remember that correctly. Might beat changing the whole board. You could also get a new BIOS chip from ASUS for a decent price. Just a suggestion that you might want to consider.

· Registered
25,231 Posts
Good memory Tumble:

you can do a search on ebay for "bios chip" there is a vendor named angelib that i have used several times / he reflashes your old chip for about $15.00 very fast turn around time / ships it back out same day he gets it / email response is super too !!

make sure when you remove your old one that you make a note of the orientation mark on the bios chip (not stickers !!!! or writing) it will be a rounded corner or a shallow half circle or an arrow etc you must put new chip back in with this orientation or you will fry the new one !!

as far as a new board hmmmmm I cant make a suggestion at the moment until I look them up / my memory is shot !!!! LOL if nobody else picks up on the reccommendation I will this evening, crunched for time at the moment

regards

joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.