Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Did you find a fix?

I've just installed this motheboard with an Athlon XP 2500+ and I'm getting *very* similar symptoms.

Basically, I'm having a really hard time getting my hard drive recognised. It's a new drive - my old one died but was still under warranty, it's a Seagate 340016A. I installed all the bits into my computer, turn it on, have a look in the bios - all looks good so far. I get an old boot disk to get into DOS and get FDisk going. While I'm away from the computer, it goes back to the initial FDisk screen that says about enabling large drives.

So I try to run it again - no joy. From then on, I can't get my drive recognised. The bios on the motherboard recognises it but not anything I need to get the drive formatted.

I changed the ribbon at one point and started to get the "80 conductor IDE cable not installed" message as well. Swapping the ribbon I got with the motherboard back in solved that.

I've been trying Seagate's tools but they're as much use as a chocolate teapot. They create a virtual drive with some files but doesn't seem to do much else (trying to run what seems like the relevant programs doesn't do much).

Now, it's freezing when trying to detect what's on the IDE ports. I was thinking it was the drive but doing a search and reading the above... I don't know any more.

Any help, greatly appreciated :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.