Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased a pretty much barebones system from my friend. I have an ASUS A7N8X Delux Mobo, 512 SDRAM, I purchased a new Maxtor 250 Gig ATA 133 HD, as well as an ATI 9600 All-in-Wonder AGP card.

When I originally installed my new components on first boot I received the message "Verifying DMI Pool", and the system hung. I followed the advice on other sites of disabling cache in the bios, and also tried reseting the BIOS to defualt settings. This worked and I was able to boot the system. I had succesfully installed Windows 2000 Server, only to have the system reboot unexpectedly.

Upon reboot, Windows 2000 Server would not boot as the system hive had been corrupted. I reinstalled 2000 Server only to have the same thing happen again a few days later. I requested that my friend that I purchased the system from come by and take a look at the BIOS settings as the BIOS on this mobo is more advanced than what I was used to. He reconfigured the BIOS to how he had it when he owned the system. It booted fine, I reinstalled 2000 Server and things ran fine for about 2 days.

I got up this mornining to find that the system rebooted itself again, and now I am again stuck at the Verifying DMI Pool system hang. I have tried reseting BIOS to optimal defauls, disabling cache, reseting the CMOS jumper, replacing the battery on board. Nothing seems to work this time around.

Any suggestions as to what to try would be much appreciated. I tested the hard drive with Spin Rite 6.0 and Scandisk and found no errors. I don't know what could be causing the system to hang at Verifying DMI Pool, nor can I figure out what is causing the data corruption after a few days. The only things I can think of would be memory is going bad, power supply is not strong enough, hard drive is indeed faulty, or computer is overheating.

Any insight on these problems would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think this is a hardware issue or a incorrect bios drive setting.

Is the new drive set to AUTO in the bios? Does it report it correctly?

I would disconnect all the drives except the boot drive (SATA, CD-ROM, FLOPPY, etc) and takeout all the cards except for the video and try it that way. If the problem goes away then start reinstalling each component one piece at a time and test.

Also check all your cables to make sure they are good, if one is just a little flaxy it can cause problems.

You might try to remove and reinstall the partitions on the new drive and reinstall the OS one more time.

If you have another IDE drive you could load it up with the OS and see if the problem goes away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.