Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My computer has been working fine for years but recently, it reboot for no apparent reason and since then I have trouble to start winxp. It keep rebooting after I get into login screen in xp. Then, I delete the partition and try to reinstall winxp but it always stuck somewhere and show some messages like, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT or IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL..etc.. Out of desperation, I began to unplug some drivers but it get worse and worse, the last time it show BIOS checksum error. I try to clean CMOS and replace the battery of CMOS but it doesn't work.

Now, the computer just show nothing after turning on and even there is no beep code from BIOS (no short beep.) Is the BIOS completely corrupt? I'm quite confused by it because I didn't try to update BIOS... Anyone can help me? Thanks in advance.

Information about my computer:

Motherboard: A7N8X Deluxe
CPU: Athlon XP 2500+
RAM: Corsair 512 MB DDR 400
VideoCard: SAPPHIRE Radeon 9500

·
Registered
141 Posts
At first it sounded like either a driver conflict or a memory problem.
However as you cant get anything when you start up I tend to think its a memory problem.
Can you either try out your existing RAM in another pc or try some different RAM in your own pc.
Either way your RAM needs to be checked.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Since this is a computer that has been around for a while I would suspect the Power supply. I would try a different power supply, Antec or Enermax make good quality power supplies. For your system 500 watts should be enough.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
hmmmm;

not really much info to go on to draw any conclusions / kinda like shooting into the dark

try the ram stick change

can you come up with a temporary psu to swap and check

and here is some bios info / dont know what corrupted you bios / but bad checksum is a common corrupt bios error message

review this from top to bottom
http://www.tipidpc.com/cham_bootblock.php

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to me it's not the problem of memory or power. Because I have tried to unplug everything and leave only cpu on the MB and there is still nothing, no beep code to tell me Video Card or Memory is missing although the fans are working and the power LED on the MB is on. It make me suspect the BIOS is completely corrupt. I will try to restore BIOS following the website you give to me and Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Freeform, I would still try a different psu. You can very easily have the fans spinning and the mainboard LED glowing and still get no response from the bios.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andrew S. said:
Hi Freeform, I would still try a different psu. You can very easily have the fans spinning and the mainboard LED glowing and still get no response from the bios.
Hi Andrew, I guess you are right. For some unknown reason, the computer came back again after I plugged memeory, the VGA card into the MB and connected only the floppy driver. It turns out now everything is fine besides of that the computer only work if I connect only one of my two DVD drivers. I thought Antec 380W should be enough for two DVD drivers and one hard disk. Or maybe for some reason, the PSU lost it's full power?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well done Freeform.
Barry R was right on the money. Drop in a 500w (or more) psu and kiss all your freezes and crashes goodbye.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.