Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm putting this under the right forum, if not I apologize and please move it...

But, my neighborhood has a wireless co-op going on, which we actively take part in. My laptop has a wireless card in it, just the standard Intel PROSet/Wireless. The question I have is: I'd like to put a card in my desktop PC as well.

My desktop is a Dell Dimension 4600, it's about...Oh, 4 years old? The problem I'm facing is I don't know what card to buy, which are good, etcetera. Also, the signal strength fluxuates wildly at times (we're fairly far away from the source) so my buddy told me about these "antennas" for wireless. The way he explained it is they pick up the signal, amplify it, then rebroadcast it. If that's true, or if there's something like that, what would you recommend?

Thanks,
Mik

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yes it is true you can get boosters to extend the distance a signal can travel, but you would need the co-operation of someone further down the road for that to be beneficial for you as you would have to place that item in their property.

I would suggest getting one of the newest most powerful wireless routers you can and connect that to your pc, either via an additional card or Ethernet cable, then see if that router has the range to get the signal you require, get something like a Netgear mimo or similar, but I'm not that experienced in this area so best to wait for more input before rushing out to do anything just incase there is a better solution or I'm way off track lol, but hope this gives a few ideas while waiting anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is true you can get boosters to extend the distance a signal can travel, but you would need the co-operation of someone further down the road for that to be beneficial for you as you would have to place that item in their property.

I would suggest getting one of the newest most powerful wireless routers you can and connect that to your pc, either via an additional card or Ethernet cable, then see if that router has the range to get the signal you require, get something like a Netgear mimo or similar, but I'm not that experienced in this area so best to wait for more input before rushing out to do anything just incase there is a better solution or I'm way off track lol, but hope this gives a few ideas while waiting anyway.
Well, I've never been able to find out the exact origin of the signal (I don't talk to my neighbors much.) I'm guessing it's about 400 - 500 feet, and I get pretty low signal strength from my house, and acceptable from my fifth wheel. It's 1 bar in my house 2 in my fifth wheel. It's still incredibly fast. But, in the event my neighbor wouldn't let me place a booster on their property, is there anything I can place on my property? Even if you are off track, I appreciate the attempt. :)

- Mik

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, would something like http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=58&ProdID=307 work? I'm a little...Well, I'll admit it, ignorant on wireless things. Most my life I used dial up (and I'm oddly ashamed...Hmph) So, would that work for picking up the signal without being placed by/plugged into the signal source? I need it to pick up and reamplify the signal so it's like it's originating virtually in my own home.

- Mik

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Personally, I'd go for one of the 14dB units, might as well get all the signal possible. :smile:

The antenna is effective for weak signals, that's the whole purpose. As to whether it'll work in your specific application, there's no way to know without testing it. I have no idea what kind of signal strength you have now.

You might pick up NetStumbler and measure your signal strength, that would give us an idea of what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I'd go for one of the 14dB units, might as well get all the signal possible. :smile:

The antenna is effective for weak signals, that's the whole purpose. As to whether it'll work in your specific application, there's no way to know without testing it. I have no idea what kind of signal strength you have now.

You might pick up NetStumbler and measure your signal strength, that would give us an idea of what you're dealing with.
Well, my wireless card tells me the strength, and the signal strength is poor/good (depending on where in the house I am.) Quality is excellent/very good. It's unbelievably fast for those specs (200KB/s.) So, I know it's T1-ish. I'll upload a pic of the back of my lap top (I don't have a card in my desktop yet.) I'll put it up in an edit, I need to get going now though.

- Mik

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.