Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A waste of £120 ($192)

I hope to God that someone can help me. Having bought my first ever Graphics Card I was hoping for a weekend of FlightSim heaven; it would appear that this will not happen!

I have just spent the past day trying to install my new graphics card and have had no joy, despite following the instructions to the letter. This is the situation:

Graphics Card: Tyan Tachyon G9600 Pro

System: MoBo = Gigabyte GA-7VKMP with a Via Chipset (KM266)

The rest of my system well exceeds the requirements of the new card. Downloaded & Installed latest AGP drivers for my non-Intel based chipset. Updated Bios. However, when I install the card and attach the monitors cable, the PC won't even boot, there's just a two-tone, repetative signal coming from the board.

There's no option in the Bios to disable the onboard graphics.

Are there any financially free methods that I can employ to get this !"£"$£%^%&^ card working?

I'll be very grateful for any helpful advice. :confused:

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Look on the motherboard for a jumper.(Not 100 % sure) -- no jumper... researched read the manual, look at next post.

Sometimes the AGP card needs to be set as the primary adapter in the bios as well.

Make sure your new card is 100% seated in the slot. Sometimes the agp slot falls too close to a dimm slot and the lock is open on the slot, and the agp card is held up on the end and not firmly seated.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
In your bios set the VGA frame buffer to disable then insert your new card. Also watch the lock at the end of the AGP slot. (I am assuming that you have an agp card!)

If you are not using AGP, then make sure that the Set the VGA boot from to your pci card.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also something I would try is before you shutdown to install the new card, goto START:CONTROL PANEL:SYSTEM:HARDWARE: DEVICE MANAGER: DISPLAY ADAPTERS
right click and uninstall anything in there. Then shut down the computer, set the bios to diable any onboard video ram: set the boot display priority to AGP, disable anything else which hints of onboard video and enable any agp options you can find, then install the card. If you go to boot and nothing comes on screen plug the monitor into the onboard video and go back into bios and try to find what you missed. If it boots with the video card then install the drivers for it. Once you have it running again go back into bios and see if there are any tweaks like setting agp aperture size that you can do to enhance its performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to Idtent for your tips. Unfortunately it didn't work (setting the VGA buffer to None and then installing the card. Good point about the DIMM socket. The heat sink does push the levers down slightly and has left ait's mark on them.

However, the card does go all the way in with a satisfying click of the lock. I am wondering whether the DIMM is being raised fractionally by this and thus upsetting the system (???)

I'm beginning to think that I might just have to buy a MoBo with a decent BIOS onboard that actually gives the user the functionality that's required. I find it incredible that such a simple option is missing.

Thanks again,

Jab45.

P.S. Have pushed DIMM lever all the way down and everything works ok so it's not that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resolution

All has been resolved with the purchase of motherbaord with an SiS chipset.

Hardly an elegant solution but there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
good to hear the motherboard fixed the problem... i do seem to recall that some gigabyte motherboard had a problem with the voltage regulator not giving enough power for AGP video cards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.