Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right section, Hopefully it is,

Let me first say that this computer is absolutely ancient, I paid someone I knew 10 years ago to make it for me. I used to use it for gaming a long time ago in like 2008-09. Then I decided to just use my PS4 for gaming and laptop for browsing the net. I gave this PC to my grandfather. He's had it for years, and has actually only used it for emails, facebook, pictures and just writing stories.

I recently felt like playing Rocket League on PC. Did not have a Gaming PC though. So low and behold he hadn't been using it. So he gave it back. Now I'm using it. It runs actually way faster still than any laptop I've ever had. I've upgraded to Windows 10 on it, (Formerly Windows VISTA) and I only have one problem - sound.

I have these old JBL speakers currently hooked up, they are decent speakers. I sometimes, on-and-off will hear these clicking/clacking noises. Almost like when you turn a TV up WAY too loud and the sound gets fuzzy? Sort of like that. But it happens at any volume.

I tried just hooking up my headset directly into the PC instead of speakers. The same thing happens on headphones too. So it's the PC, not the speakers/headset.

I've tried hooking up the PC to a TV via HDMI cable instead of the Computer Monitor I've usually got it hooked up to. I'm unable to set the default audio device to my TV speakers. I can do that on my laptop but it won't work with the PC.

Also, I have the PRO version of iObit driver booster, and all drivers have been updated. Everything on windows is also updated to the newest Windows 10 versions.

I've said it, I'll say again. The computer is very old. Ancient. I am actually able to run Rocket League on Steam though. I think these are what you'd call 'specs':

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
RAM: 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. G31M-ES2L
Graphics Card: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Hard Drive: 149GB Seagate ST3160815AS ATA Device
Monitor: 23" ACER X233H ([email protected])

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,365 Posts
Not sure if this is the right section, Hopefully it is,

Let me first say that this computer is absolutely ancient, I paid someone I knew 10 years ago to make it for me. I used to use it for gaming a long time ago in like 2008-09. Then I decided to just use my PS4 for gaming and laptop for browsing the net. I gave this PC to my grandfather. He's had it for years, and has actually only used it for emails, facebook, pictures and just writing stories.

I recently felt like playing Rocket League on PC. Did not have a Gaming PC though. So low and behold he hadn't been using it. So he gave it back. Now I'm using it. It runs actually way faster still than any laptop I've ever had. I've upgraded to Windows 10 on it, (Formerly Windows VISTA) and I only have one problem - sound.

I have these old JBL speakers currently hooked up, they are decent speakers. I sometimes, on-and-off will hear these clicking/clacking noises. Almost like when you turn a TV up WAY too loud and the sound gets fuzzy? Sort of like that. But it happens at any volume.

I tried just hooking up my headset directly into the PC instead of speakers. The same thing happens on headphones too. So it's the PC, not the speakers/headset.

I've tried hooking up the PC to a TV via HDMI cable instead of the Computer Monitor I've usually got it hooked up to. I'm unable to set the default audio device to my TV speakers. I can do that on my laptop but it won't work with the PC.

Also, I have the PRO version of iObit driver booster, and all drivers have been updated. Everything on windows is also updated to the newest Windows 10 versions.

I've said it, I'll say again. The computer is very old. Ancient. I am actually able to run Rocket League on Steam though. I think these are what you'd call 'specs':

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
RAM: 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. G31M-ES2L
Graphics Card: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Hard Drive: 149GB Seagate ST3160815AS ATA Device
Monitor: 23" ACER X233H ([email protected])
First things first, Windows 10 is not officially supported for that motherboard, so there are no guarantees.
I do not know the hardware revision of your motherboard, so I went with the first I found (rev. 2.3).

For the onboard sound (Realtek ALC883) you should install its drivers for Windows 10 from here

If your hardware revision is different, the onboard sound card could be of a different chipset. If that is the case, go to https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G31M-ES2L-rev-24#sp and select the correct hardware revision, then look at the specifications section to determine the exact sound card, then you can download the most recent drivers from it's manufacturer. The Gigabyte site doesn't provide drivers for Windows versions above 7, but the sound card's manufacturer may have provided a newer version.

For the HDMI audio output of the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT card, install the drivers found here
Note that the graphics drivers were released in July 2015, just when Windows 10 was getting released to the general public. The Realtek drivers were released in June 2017. While they should work with Windows 10, certain changes in the latest release of Windows 10 (April 2018) may prevent them from working properly, so this is a trial and error situation (like I said, there are no guarantees). HDMI audio output won't work unless a functional driver is installed.

Get rid of that Iobit driver updating utility, it won't help you much and you may end up with unwanted adware on your system. Always get drivers from the manufacturer of the component or motherboard, whichever has the most recent versions, but never from third-parties.

To completely remove the existing gpu card drivers, use DDU in safe mode after uninstalling them from Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,557 Posts
Very good advice stancestans, there is nothing at Iobit worth owning and the site is a cesspool of unwanted Adware and Malware apps.
Since the system is not certified for Windows 10 you might actually be better off with the age of it if you intend to keep using it to buy a decent quality soundcard on eBay rather than fool with drivers for such an old system and sound is critical for decent gaming.

Reactions: Rockafeller

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the onboard sound (Realtek ALC883) you should install its drivers for Windows 10 from here

If your hardware revision is different, the onboard sound card could be of a different chipset. If that is the case, go to https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G31M-ES2L-rev-24#sp

Downloaded and installed the drivers from the first link. It seems to have definitely changed my sound a bit. Everything sounds a little different, hard to explain, also The popping seems to have been improved a bit.

Checked the second link. Noob here - not sure what I'm doing so I'd have to be walked through it like a child.

Thank you though for all your help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.