Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many threads on various forums have been started by folks that experience the infamous harddrive "clunk" that is always followed by a system freeze.

They immediately point the blame on a failing drive and run every diagnostic possible, even try the drive on other machines, and all seems mysteriously ok with the drive. They reformat, run a lengthy Chkdsk, even RMA the drive.

This is the exact issue I have been facing for several weeks now. An older computer that had seen a good deal of work over the years, suddenly starts crashing and freezing.
The first symptoms were the harddrive clicks and windows freezing, and I immediately tried a new harddrive. After successfully reinstalling windows, the problem returned, now on a new drive. Couldnt be two drives just died, perhaps there was another reason?
The PSU problems escalated to where the computer would no longer POST.
Seems the problem is with a dying power supply in my case. Its one of those issues that seem to be least related to the psu, but it can confuse people looking in all the wrong places.

Next time you notice a machine freeze up at random or while accessing data and here a clunk or click (or double click), it could indicate an issue with the psu perhaps starting to get flaky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.