Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this......and am not a tech...so work with me please.
I have a computer that is totally infected........Explorer is the problem, but whatever the virus is.......it's really destoyed the hard drive.......I can get to files and things but it takes forever.
My question is.........if I put in another hard drive and make the current one a slave......can the virus move to the new hard drive/operating system? And I would probably be putting in a hard drive with the same operating system which makes things even more questionable in my mind.
I'm just trying to do something quick until I copy all the files and whack the drive.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,347 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF.
A virus has to be run in order to do anything so unless you run or open any executables on your old drive it won't spread to your new one. I suggest you get a good anti virus program and check the files that you intend copying in case the virus is embedded in any of these.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I subsequently added anti-virus software but I think it was too late. The only files I intend on copying are text files.....so for now it just seems easier to stick another hd in and go from there. I've run that hijackthis thing......but I'm not sure what in the world that's about.

Thanks again

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,347 Posts
The HJT log is used by our analysts to help you clean up your drive. If you are going to reformat the drive after you copied what you want off it, don't bother about the HJT log. Please let me know what you intend to do and I'll delete the log. The analysts are very busy and I'm sure they would appreciate one less log to deal with. :grin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.