Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll give a bit of history and then to the question
Win 98 on a Dell latitude CPt S. Windows directory disappears, run Norton and the directory comes back as a file, oh well most everthing of importance is not on windows directory, re-install windows 98 to Windows.000 (the windows file does not allow an install to windows), system installs starts up drivers are not right but it's working. Download suggested drivers from dell, drop it to a CD and proceed to install on the system. Video driver dies with an error message so I decide to install the audio and then investigate video. System reboots after audio, sounds good, but will not go past the Windows 98 intro screen. I can hear the sound (driver must be working) of an pop-up error message but cannot see what it is. Try re-installing Windows98 from scratch gets to the the hardward portion, black screens and never goes any further. I'm thinking that the video driver (that errored out before) is causing a problem but cannot be sure. Is there a way to change that driver from dos?(will not go to safe mode) should I just reinstall windows to a new directory and take it from there? I will most likely wipe this system and start from scratch but I would like to get windows up and running long enough to attach a usb cd or get the network card to work and copy the 'data' files off. They are alive and well when I boot to DOS, now I just need to get them backed up!

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
At a command prompt:

scanreg /restore

Choose a date before you installed the video drivers if it is listed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried it and it did not work

scanreg /restore

bad command or file name (can't find it on the system only scanregw which is a windows command)

·
1,038 Posts
TYPE at command prompt
path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command
then try
scanreg /restore

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
system restore operation failed

just scanreg finds errors on my system files that cannot be fixed.
scanreg /restore fails

Any other suggestions or should I just install win98 to a new directory and hope that I can get it up and running again.
Should I delete (dos level) the windows directory that exists?

any ideas as I've never been through this before

·
1,038 Posts
Manual restore:

do the path command from earlier.
[commands to enter in dos prompt]
path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command
cd windows\sysbckup (use windows.000 if that is the failed install)
dir

(look for the oldest file date before video driver install)

(example: extract yourfilename.cab *.*)

[command to enter]
extract rb004.cab *.*

(this should extract 4 files system.dat,user.dat,win.ini,system.ini)
[Commands to enter]
cd .. (should put you in c:\windows if not please get here)
attrib -r -s -h system.dat
attrib -r -s -h user.dat
ren system.dat system.da1
ren user.dat user.da1
copy c:\windows\sysbckup\system.dat
copy c:\windows\sysbckup\user.dat
attrib +r +s +h system.dat
attrib +r +s +h user.dat

Reboot the machine

Make sure you use your windows directory name where I have used "c:\windows"

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the saga continues

cd windows\sysbckup (use windows.000 if that is the failed install)
dir

sysbckup does not exist in the windows.000 directory is it buried deeper (system32) or could it be called something else?
When I run the scanreg /restore is does offer up to options for registry restore 1 that is dated prior to my attempts at upgrading the video/audio drivers so they must be out there somewhere

I don't want to forget to say thanks for all your help!

·
1,038 Posts
dir rb*.cab /s

Then cd to that directory. If you are using windows.000 is your old windows directory still intact?

If you want to reinstall to the windows directory, delete the file win.com and rerun setup, then specify windows by choosing other directory and deleting the .000

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.